Drivers in Hampton Roads can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of Oct. 11-17.
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Berkley, Coleman, High Rise and James River bridges.
Scheduled closures are subject to change based on weather conditions and other factors.
For information on traffic, maintenance and construction in Hampton Roads, visit Virginia Department of Transportation’s 511 website, download the 511VA smartphone app or dial 511.
Bridges & Tunnels
Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge Tunnel, I-664:
- Full consecutive closure of Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel:
- Northbound from Oct. 9 at 9 p.m. through Oct. 12 at 5 a.m. Click here for the full traffic alert.
- Single-lane closures southbound on Oct. 13-15 from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel, I-64
- Alternating, single-lane closures westbound on Oct. 13-15 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
HRBT Expansion Project:
- For lane closures and project updates related to the HRBT Expansion Project, visit HRBTExpansion.org.
Berkeley Bridge, I-264
- Mobile, single-lane closures westbound on Oct. 14-15 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown tunnels):
Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58) and MLK Expressway (Route 164).
I-64 Widening Segment III Project, York County:
- Single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199/Lightfoot (Exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (Exit 242) Oct. 11-15, starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Brief, intermittent stoppages scheduled overnight Oct. 12-15, on I-64 in both directions between Route 199/Lightfoot (Exit 234) and Route 143/Camp Peary (Exit 238).
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure and diversion on the existing Route 199 west on-ramp to I-64 west in Lightfoot continues. Westbound traffic on Route 199 follow detour signage in place directing motorists to a new temporary median crossover to access the Route 199 east on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
- A consecutive, long-term lane closure under traffic signal control on Colonial Parkway at the I-64 overpass continues.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143 Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
I-64 Southside Widening, High Rise Bridge Expansion:
- New, temporary traffic pattern beginning as early as Oct. 13 on I-64 on the collector-distributor (CD) lanes near Great Bridge Boulevard to just west of the Battlefield Boulevard exit. Click here to read the full traffic alert.
- Alternating, single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway (Exit 297) and Greenbrier Parkway (Exit 289):
- Oct. 12-15, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Oct. 16, from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Oct. 17, from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- Oct. 18, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Click here full list of project traffic alerts.
I-64, Express Lanes:
- Full closure of I-64 Express Lanes in both directions on:
- Oct. 12, from 9-11:30 a.m.
- Oct. 17, from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
I-64, Newport News:
- Double-lane closures with slow rolls on I-64 west near the Denbigh Boulevard overpass on Oct. 15-16 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
I-64/I-264 Interchange Improvements Project, Norfolk/Virginia Beach:
- Alternating, multi-lane closures in both directions on I-264 between Newtown Road (Exit 15) and Witchduck Road (Exit 16) on Oct. 11-16 starting as early as 7 p.m., with more than two lanes closed no earlier than 9 p.m., through 5 a.m.
- Ongoing nightly closure and detour on Grayson Road at South Witchduck Road, through mid-November. Click here for the full traffic alert.
- Ongoing nightly closure and detour at South Newtown Road near the I-264 interchange, through mid-October. Click here for the full traffic alert.
- On I-564 between Norfolk Naval Station Gate 3 and Terminal Boulevard:
- Consecutive double-lane closure eastbound from Oct. 9 at 8 p.m. to Oct. 12 at noon and from Oct. 16 at 8 p.m. to Oct. 19 at noon.
- Double-lane closures westbound on Oct. 11-15 from 9 p.m. to 3 a.m.
This page is available to subscribers. Click here to sign in or get access.