Drivers in Hampton Roads can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of Oct. 4-10.
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Berkley, Coleman, High Rise and James River bridges.
Scheduled closures are subject to change based on weather conditions and other factors.
For information on traffic, maintenance and construction in Hampton Roads, visit Virginia Department of Transportation’s 511 website, download the 511VA smartphone app or dial 511.
Bridges & Tunnels
Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge Tunnel, I-664:
- Full consecutive closure of Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel:
- Southbound from Oct. 2 at 9 p.m. through Oct. 5 at 5 a.m.
- Northbound from Oct. 9 at 9 p.m. through Oct. 12 at 5 a.m. Click here for the full traffic alert.
- Consecutive single-lane closure northbound from Oct. 2 at 9 p.m. through Oct. 5 at 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closures northbound on Oct. 5-8 starting as early as 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closures northbound on Oct. 6 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
HRBT Expansion Project:
- For lane closures and project updates related to the HRBT Expansion Project, visit HRBTExpansion.org.
Berkeley Bridge, I-264
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closure westbound on Oct. 6 from 9:30 a.m. to noon.
George P. Coleman Bridge, Route 17:
- Alternating, single-lane closures in both directions on Oct. 6-7 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- A series of bridge openings, lasting less than 20 minutes each, in both directions on Oct. 5-6 and Oct. 8-9 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown tunnels):
Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58) and MLK Expressway (Route 164).
I-64 Widening Segment III Project, York County:
- Single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199 Lightfoot exit (Exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (Exit 242) Oct. 4-8, starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Traffic shift and brief, intermittent stoppages scheduled overnight starting as early as Oct. 5, on I-64 east from approximately 1 mile west of Route 143/Camp Peary (Exit 238) to the Queens Creek bridge
- Brief, intermittent stoppages on Colonial Parkway near the I-64 overpass Oct. 5, between 8 p.m. and 5 a.m.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure and diversion on the existing Route 199 west on-ramp to I-64 west in Lightfoot continues. Westbound traffic on Route 199 follow detour signage in place directing motorists to a new temporary median crossover to access the Route 199 east on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
- A consecutive, long-term lane closure under traffic signal control on Colonial Parkway at the I-64 overpass continues.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143 Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
I-64 Southside Widening, High Rise Bridge Expansion:
- Alternating, single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway (Exit 297) and Greenbrier Parkway (Exit 289):
- Oct. 5-8, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Oct. 9, from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Oct. 10, from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- Oct. 11, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
I-64, Newport News:
- Double-lane closures with slow rolls on I-64 east near the Denbigh Boulevard overpass on Oct. 8-9 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full closure of on-ramp from Chestnut Avenue to I-664 north on Oct. 5-8 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full closure of off-ramp from I-664 north to Roanoke Avenue (Exit 4) on Oct. 5-8 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
I-64/I-264 Interchange Improvements Project, Norfolk/Virginia Beach:
- Ongoing nightly closure and detour at South Newtown Road near the I-264 interchange, through mid-October. Click here for more information.
- On I-564 between Norfolk Naval Station Gate 3 and Terminal Boulevard Eastbound:
- Consecutive double-lane closures east from Oct. 2 at 8 p.m. to Oct. 5 at noon, and from Oct. 9 at 8 p.m. to Oct. 12 at noon.
- Single-lane closures east on Oct. 5-6 from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- On I-564 between Norfolk Naval Station Gate 3 and Terminal Boulevard Westbound:
- Double-lane closures on Oct. 5-6 from 9 a.m. to 4 a.m. the following morning.
- Double-lane closures on Oct. 7-9 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Double-lane closures on Oct. 7-8 from 9 p.m. to 3 a.m.
- Mobile, single-lane closure on Oct. 8 from 9-11 a.m.
- Slow rolls with brief, intermittent stoppages lasting up to 20 minutes on Oct. 5-6 from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m.
- Full closure of on-ramp from Route 58 east to I-95 south on Oct. 5 and Oct. 7 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
This page is available to subscribers. Click here to sign in or get access.