Autumn is finally here and for those wanting to get outdoors during the coronavirus, one Historic Triangle locality may have some options for residents.
James City County Parks & Recreation is offering various events from arts and crafts and trivia nights to yoga and canoeing.
“As the impacts of COVID-19 continue to be felt, we ask for your patience, flexibility and support,” according to the news release. “We depend on you, our patrons, to follow safety and social distancing guidelines as regularly released by the Governor of Virginia, the Virginia Department of Health and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.”
The following events, programs and other activities listed below are happening throughout the month of October. It is not the complete list. See the full list of events here.
- Sensory Friendly Pool Party – All ages & abilities. Saturday, Oct. 17, 6:30-8 p.m.
James City County Recreation Center. Free. Registration deadline is Oct. 12, noon.
- Forest Explorers Friday – Walk & Talk • All Ages.
Friday, Oct. 16, 5:30-7 p.m. Freedom Park. Free. Weather permitting.
- Scarecrow Row – All Ages/Families. Saturday, Oct. 17*, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Jamestown Beach Event Park (event field). $20/scarecrow (includes all supplies).
Families must preregister for their scarecrow by Friday, Oct. 9.
- Kids Virtual Trivia Night – Ages 6-12. Thursday, Oct. 22, 7-8 p.m. Free. Zoom Meeting. Register by Oct. 19.
- Conversational Spanish for Kids – Ages 7-12. Fridays, Oct. 16-Dec. 11 (no class Nov. 27), 12-12:45 p.m. Zoom Meeting. Free. Register by Oct. 14.
- Teen Entrepreneurs: Becoming Your Own Boss – Ages 12-18. Wednesdays, Oct. 14-Nov. 18, 4-5 p.m. Zoom Meeting. $15. Register by Monday, Oct. 5.
- Before/After School – REC Connect – Parks & Recreation REC Connect is offering a full day consolidated program through Nov. 6 for grades K-5. The program is available Monday-Friday, 7 a.m.-6 p.m. at the consolidated sites of Laurel Lane, Matoaka and Norge Elementary Schools Call our team at 757-259-5351 with any questions.
Teens and adults
- Youth Kayaking Trips – Ages 13-17
- Ren’s Road Landing, Poquoson: Friday, Oct. 9, 10 a.m.-3 p.m.; $20
- HuguenotFlatwater Park, Richmond: Friday, Oct. 23, 10 a.m.-3 p.m.; $20
James City County Recreation Center.
- Full trip details are available by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or 757-259-5355. All trips are weather and river condition permitting.
- Fortnite Duos Tournament – Ages 12+ Gameplay begins the week of Oct. 23. Free. Register by Oct. 11 here.
- Yoga and the Trees – Ages 14+ Wednesdays, Oct. 7-21, 2-3 p.m. Freedom Park. $28
- Migratory Birds of Powhatan Creek Paddle Trips – Ages 16+ Sunday, Oct. 18, 8-10 a.m. James City County Marina/Powhatan Creek Park and Blueway. Free.
For more information and to register, call 757-856-1252, email email@example.com, or visit this website.
For more information about the James City County Parks & Recreation programs or to sign up for classes, visit their registration system –– Perfect Mind ––here.
For all outdoor classes and events, call the Activities Hotline at 757-259-3232 if inclement weather is in the forecast.
YOU MIGHT ALSO WANT TO CHECK OUT THESE STORIES: