Drivers in Hampton Roads and the Peninsula can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of Sept. 27-Oct. 3.
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Berkley, Coleman, High Rise and James River bridges.
Scheduled closures are subject to change based on weather conditions and other factors.
For information on traffic, maintenance and construction in Hampton Roads, visit Virginia Department of Transportation’s 511 website, download the 511VA smartphone app or dial 511.
Bridges & Tunnels:
- Single-lane closures eastbound on Sept. 28 to Oct. 1 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- For lane closures and project updates related to the HRBT Expansion Project, visit HRBTExpansion.org.
- Full consecutive closure southbound from Oct. 2 at 9 p.m. through Oct. 5 at 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closure northbound on Sept. 28 to Oct. 1 from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating, single-lane closures westbound on Sept. 28 to Oct. 1 from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating, single-lane closures in both directions on Sept. 28 to Oct. 2 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58) and MLK Expressway (Route 164).
- Full closure of off-ramp from I-64 east to Newtown Road (exit 284B) on Sept. 27-29 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199 Lightfoot exit (exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (exit 242) Sept. 27 to Oct. 1, starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure and diversion on the existing Route 199 west on-ramp to I-64 west in Lightfoot continues. Westbound traffic on Route 199 follow detour signage in place directing motorists to a new temporary median crossover to access the Route 199 east on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
- A consecutive, long-term lane closure under traffic signal control on Colonial Parkway at the I-64 overpass continues.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143 Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
I-64 Southside Widening, High Rise Bridge Expansion:
- Alternating, single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway (exit 297) and Greenbrier Parkway (exit 289):
- Sept. 28 to Oct. 1, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Oct. 2, from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Oct. 3, from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- Oct. 4, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full closure of I-64 Express Lanes in both directions on Sept. 28 from 9-11 a.m.
I-64 / I-264 Interchange Improvements Project, Norfolk/Virginia Beach:
- Alternating, multi-lane closures in both directions on I-264 between Newtown Road (exit 15) and Witchduck Road (exit 16) on Sept. 27 to Oct. 2 starting as early as 7 p.m., with more than two lanes closed no earlier than 9 p.m., through 5 a.m.
- Ongoing nightly closure and detour on Grayson Road at South Witchduck Road. Click here for the full traffic alert: conta.cc/30xPFAz
- Ongoing nightly closure and detour at South Newtown Road near the I-264 interchange, through mid-October. Click here for the full traffic alert: conta.cc/2xb166Q
- On I-564 between Norfolk Naval Station Gate 3 and Terminal Boulevard Eastbound:
- Consecutive double-lane closures eastbound from Sept. 25 at 8 p.m. to Sept. 28 at noon.
- Single-lane closures eastbound on Sept. 26-27 and Sept. 29-30 from 8 p.m. to as late as 5 a.m.
- Double-lane closures eastbound on Sept. 28-29 from 3 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Consecutive double-lane closures eastbound from Oct. 2 at 8 p.m. to Oct. 5 at noon.
- On I-564 between Norfolk Naval Station Gate 3 and Terminal Boulevard Westbound:
- Consecutive double-lane closure westbound from Sept. 25 at 9 a.m. to Sept 28 at 4 a.m.
- Double-lane closures westbound on Sept. 29-30 from 5 p.m. to 4 a.m.
- Single-lane closure on Sept. 26-27 from 8 p.m. to 4 a.m.
- Slow rolls with brief, intermittent stoppages lasting up to 20 minutes westbound on Sept. 26-27 and Sept. 29-30 from 10 p.m. to 3 a.m.
- Double-lane closures Sept. 28 to Oct. 1 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Full closure of off-ramp from I-95 north to Route 58 east (exit 11A) on Sept. 29 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Other notable closures
- Traffic shift implemented on westbound Laskin Road between the Hilltop North signalized intersection and First Colonial Road, at Hilltop North Shopping Center. Left turns restricted from Nevan Road onto westbound Laskin Road, as well as left turns from westbound Laskin Road onto Nevan Road. Click here for the full traffic alert: conta.cc/3mSrCHa