The Williamsburg-James City County School Board on Tuesday approved the school division’s new chief operating officer would act as a “stand-in” if the superintendent would not be available for meetings.
So why is this new COO Daniel Keever going to be the superintendent’s representative when the superintendent isn’t available? Why not use the assistant superintendent instead?
Williamsburg-James City County Public Schools spokeswoman Eileen Cox said the division’s structure, Keever will be a “signatory ” who signs off on different things.
Cox said the chief financial officer is responsible for finances and budgeting. The assistant superintendent is focused on elementary instruction.
“They have some diff roles,” she said. “Those are focused primarily on instruction and schools.”
“They work with the principals to support their teachers, their administrators,” she added.
The COO on the other hand is responsible for transportation, human resources, technology and “generally kind of hard side of education operational side,” Cox said.
For example, the COO, Keever in this case, could fill Superintendent Olwen Herron place at the next school board meeting.
“Or there is something that happens when the superintendent is out of town, or can’t be reached,” she added.
Cox said previously the position was know as the chief of staff and recently became chief operating officer.
Keever, who joined the WJCC administration staff in September, also has an “instructional background,” Cox said, having served as a classroom teacher and the senior executive director for high schools for Virginia Beach City Public Schools, according to the WJCC’s website.
The board has to approve a “stand in” for the superintendent each year. Earlier this year, the board had elected Corey Murphy, the former chief of staff.
Since Keever replaced the Murphy, the school board had to approve the stand-in again once Keever was hired.
“It’s required annually by law,” Cox added.
YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK OUT THESE STORIES:
- WJCC employee tests positive for the coronavirus, school officials say. Third positive case so far within the district
- Equal education for all: How local schools are putting racism in detention
- Atlantic Union Bank in James City County robbed; search underway for suspect
- You might want to check out this deal if you’re looking for a job
- Colonial Williamsburg files application to remove these downtown parking spaces. Here’s what the Planning Commission discussed
- Here’s a quick ‘Voter Guide 2020’ that includes info for Williamsburg, James City and York counties