Jamestown Settlement and the American Revolution Museum at Yorktown are hosting its annual Homeschool Program days in September.
Starting Sept. 5, homeschool students can take part in opportunities to explore 17th and 18th century Virginia through a variety of in-person and virtual learning activities.
Homeschool students will discover the story of America’s beginnings with an educational museum experience at the two living-history museums administered by the Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation.
The program will include pre-recorded virtual tours of both museums that will be accessible online throughout the program’s schedule.
Students and families will also have the opportunity to participate in a live virtual question and answer session with educators at both museums. The live virtual question and answer sessions will be:
- Sept. 9, 11-11:45 a.m., with Jamestown Settlement educators.
- Sept. 16, 3-3:45 p.m., with Jamestown Settlement educators.
- Sept. 10, 11-11:45 a.m., with American Revolution Museum at Yorktown educators.
- Sept. 17, 3-3:45 p.m., with American Revolution Museum at Yorktown educators.
Program details, such as access codes for virtual tours, will be provided in the welcome packets for families when they register.
There will also be homeschool education stations at each museum that allows families to interact with educators from a safe distance as they explore various historical topics while using skills such as critical thinking, primary source analysis and learn how historians use clues from the past to put together a historical narrative.
Jamestown Settlement’s stations will examine the arrival of the first recorded Africans in Virginia as well as the mapping of the early Virginia colony, archaeology and information on how modern science helps historians understand the past. Education stations will be available at the following times:
- Sept. 9, 10 a.m. to noon, 1-3 p.m.
- Sept. 11, 10 a.m. to noon, 1-3 p.m.
- Sept. 14, 10 a.m. to noon, 1-3 p.m.
- Sept. 16, 10 a.m. to noon, 1-3 p.m.
- Sept. 18, 10 a.m. to noon, 1-3 p.m.
Admission to the Homeschool Program Days is $13 per family member. Children younger than 4 get in free. Tickets offer unlimited admission to both museums throughout the program’s schedule.
The Homeschool Program Days will run from Sept. 5-20.
For more information, visit the Jamestown Settlement and American Revolution Museum at Yorktown online.
YOU MIGHT ALSO WANT TO CHECK OUT THESE STORIES:
- The coronavirus is causing more parents to look at homeschooling in the fall
- The number of home school students are rising. Here’s how it’s impacting the Historic Triangle
- Virtual learning problems: Here’s how local school divisions plan to handle them
- Equal education for all: How local schools are putting racism in detention