If you spot pirates in Yorktown this weekend, don’t worry—they’re there for fun.
Yorktown Market Days will be hosting its annual Pirate Invasion event this weekend with a virtual twist.
Guests can come out to Yorktown Market Days at the waterfront on Saturday and enjoy a socially-distanced and virtual pirate-themed experience with extended farmers market hours, according to a news release from York County.
Opportunities for shopping will be extended an additional three hours, from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. and pirate activities will kick off at 10 a.m. with a Virtual Pirate Treasure Hunt.
Children will have the opportunity during the treasure hunt to collect coins, jewels, eye patches and other items at various businesses throughout the town. To promote health and safety the treasure map will be digital and available at Visit Yorktown’s website and Facebook page. There will also be several large printed maps on display for visitors to take pictures and help them find the treasure.
There is no official check-in spot for the event. Instead, participants can start anywhere on the map to collect their pirate cup and first piece of treasure.
Guests can also take part in the Pirate Adventure Cruise on the York River with Captain Mayhem. Kid-friendly pirate cruises on the Schooner Alliance will run at 10:30 a.m. on Saturday with afternoon history sightseeing at 1:30 p.m. and 4 p.m. Tickets and reservation information is available by calling 888-316-6422.
The event will also feature various food truck options for “starving seadogs and scallywags,” according to the news release. This includes Coastal Thirst, Boyd’s Tasty Dogs, Black Pearl Food Truck and Polar Snow.
Historic Yorktown Restaurants will also be serving the following options:
- Carrot Tree, serving grab-and-go picnic options.
- Mobjack Bay Coffee Roasters, serving miniature to-go versions of their Village Homemade Ice Cream Sandwiches.
- Ben & Jerry’s, offering free sprinkles and a buy-three-get-one-free deal on pints of ice cream.
- Yorktown Pub, serving seafood, sandwiches and burgers. Online ordering available for curbside pick-up.
- Water Street Grille, serving Golden Coins (flash fried zucchini bites with Chipotle ranch), Off the Hook Haddock (fried haddock fillet), and Pirates of the Caribbean Jerk Chicken Pizza.
There will be free parking at the event available at the Riverwalk Landing terrace, York Hall, York County Courts and Office Complex and other designated public lots. The Yorktown free trolley will run from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Passengers are asked to wear facemasks and follow all posted restrictions.
Visitors to the event will follow pandemic restrictions, including wearing facemasks and social distancing from groups outside their immediate family. Anyone who is sick or who has been exposed to a person with the coronavirus is asked to stay home.
For more information, visit Yorktown Market Days online.
YOU MIGHT ALSO WANT TO CHECK OUT THESE STORIES:
- Local woman gets stuck in the U.K. during pandemic; finds love and new perspective
- Building up James City County: Here’s how you can help plan the county’s future
- Toano business apologizes after selling culturally offensive item
- REC Connect: James City County has a program to help parents with childcare this fall