Sunday, October 1, 2023

Having a yard sale, eh? You might want to know the rules

Signs are not allowed on the VDOT right of way or on utility poles. (WYDaily/Courtesy of Flickr)

Some would probably agree Saturdays — and for some, Sundays — are made for yard sales.

Setting up tables, emptying your garage and sorting through your attic are basically the ingredients of the event.

But how do you let people know? Where can you place your signs to advertise your sales?

Both York and James City counties do not require a permit for yard sales, but residents are only allowed to have two sales a year at a time, and they must last no more than three days.

Signs are not permitted on the side of roads, places where they may interfere with the Virginia Department of Transportation.

When placing signs around the community always keep in mind that they are not allowed on the VDOT right of way — the area between the road and storm drains or utility poles and boxes.

Signs may be placed on private property, depending on the guidelines Home Owners Associations have in place, if there is an HOA in your area. After the event has passed, signs must be taken down.

Christy Parrish, zoning administrator for James City County, said if signs are placed in restricted areas, then VDOT workers will most likely remove them.

Parrish said the county allows for non-commercial signs up to 32 square feet.

Have any more questions? Reach out to York County Development Services at 757-890-3531 or James City County Zoning Enforcement at 757-253-6755.


Related Articles