Drivers in Hampton Roads can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of July 19-25.
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Berkley, High Rise and James River bridges.
Scheduled closures are subject to change based on weather conditions and other factors.
For information on traffic, maintenance and construction in Hampton Roads, visit Virginia Department of Transportation’s 511 website, download the 511VA smartphone app or dial 511.
Bridges & Tunnels
Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel, I-64:
- Alternating, single-lane closures westbound on July 20-23 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- For lane closures and project updates related to the HRBT Expansion Project, visit HRBTExpansion.org.
Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel, I-664:
- Single-lane closure southbound on July 23 from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
James River Bridge, Route 17:
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closures in both directions on July 21-22 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
George P. Coleman Bridge, Route 17:
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closures in both directions on July 23 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown tunnels):
Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58) and MLK Expressway (Route 164).
I-64 Widening Project, York County:
- Single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199 Lightfoot exit (Exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (Exit 242) July 19-23, starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Traffic shift and brief, intermittent stoppages scheduled to begin overnight starting as early as July 19-20, on I-64 west between just east of the Route 199/Newman Road, Lightfoot exit (Exit 234) to the western limits of the project—approximately 1 mile west of the Route 199/Newman Road, Lightfoot exit (Exit 234).
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure and diversion on the existing Route 199 west on-ramp to I-64 west to begin as early as 7 p.m. on July 19. Westbound traffic on Route 199 will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to a new temporary median crossover to access the Route 199 east on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
- Traffic shift and brief, intermittent stoppages scheduled to begin overnight starting as early as July 21-22, on I-64 west from just west of the Colonial Parkway overpass to just east of Route 143/Camp Peary (Exit 238).
- Lane closures under flagger control on Fenton Mill Road on July 20-24, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- A consecutive, long-term lane closure under traffic signal control on Colonial Parkway at the I-64 overpass continues.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143 Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
I-64 Southside Widening, High Rise Bridge Expansion:
- Alternating, single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway (Exit 297) and Greenbrier Parkway (Exit 289):
- July 20-23, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- July 24, from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- July 25, from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- July 26, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m
- Continuous detour on Shell Road at the I-64 overpass, June 15 to Aug. 24. Click here for more information.
- Full closure of I-64 eastbound, near the Great Bridge Boulevard overpass, (between Exits 292 and 291B) and of the Great Bridge Boulevard overpass starting as early as July 18. Click here for more information.
- Click here full list of project traffic alerts.
- Full ramp closures on I-64 on June 20-23 from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.:
- Off-ramp to eastbound Armistead Avenue/LaSalle Avenue (Exit 265A)
- Off-ramp to westbound Armistead Avenue/LaSalle Avenue (Exit 265B)
I-64/I-264 Interchange Improvements Project, Norfolk/Virginia Beach:
- Full closure of I-264 east nightly between Newtown Road (Exit 15) and Witchduck Road (exit 16) starting as early as July 18. Click here for more information.
- Alternating, double-lane closures on I-264 east from Newtown Road (Exit 15) to Witchduck Road (Exit 16) on July 19-23 starting as early as 7 p.m. through 5 a.m.
- Alternating, single-lane closure on I-264 west from Witchduck Road (Exit 16) to Newtown Road (Exit 15) on July 19-24 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Laskin Road Widening and Bridge Replacement Project – City of Virginia Beach
- Single-lane closures on eastbound Laskin Road between Republic Road and Fremac Drive in the City of Virginia Beach, weekly from Monday through Friday from 7 p.m. to 1 p.m. the following day. Click here for more information.
This page is available to subscribers. Click here to sign in or get access.