Drivers in Hampton Roads can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of July 5-11.
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Berkley, High Rise and James River bridges.
Scheduled closures are subject to change based on weather conditions and other factors.
For information on traffic, maintenance and construction in Hampton Roads, visit Virginia Department of Transportation’s 511 website, download the 511VA smartphone app or dial 511.
Bridges & Tunnels
Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel, I-64:
- Alternating, single-lane closures westbound from July 6-9 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m
- For lane closures and project updates related to the HRBT Expansion Project, visit HRBTExpansion.org.
I-64 Widening Project, York County:
- Single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199 Lightfoot exit (Exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (Exit 242) July 6-9, starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m..
- Lane closures under flagger control on Rochambeau Drive, west of Route 199/Newman Road (Exit 234) on July 7-10, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- A consecutive, long-term lane closure under traffic signal control on Colonial Parkway at the I-64 overpass continues.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143 Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
I-64 Southside Widening, High Rise Bridge Expansion:
- Alternating, single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway (Exit 297) and Greenbrier Parkway (Exit 289):
- July 6-9, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- July 10, from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- July 11, from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- July 12, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m
- Continuous detour on Shell Road at the I-64 overpass, June 15 to Aug. 24. Click here for more information.
- Full closure of I-64, first of westbound then of eastbound, near the Great Bridge Boulevard overpass, (between Exits 292 and 291B) starting as early as July 11. Click here for more information.
- Click here full list of project traffic alerts.
I-64, Denbigh Boulevard Bridge Replacement Project, Newport News:
- Multi-lane closures with brief, intermittent stoppages lasting up to 20 minutes each on I-64 in both directions near the Denbigh Boulevard overpass July 6-9 and 11-12, starting as early as 9 p.m. until as late as 7 a.m. the following morning.
- Full overnight closures on Denbigh Boulevard in both directions between Pocahontas Drive and Millwood Drive, July 7-9 and 11, from 9 p.m. until as late as 7 a.m. the following morning.
I-64/I-264 Interchange Improvements Project, Norfolk/Virginia Beach:
- Alternating, single-lane closure on I-264 west from Witchduck Road (Exit 16) to Newtown Road (Exit 15) on July 6-10 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating, double-lane closures on I-264 east from Newtown Road (Exit 15) to Witchduck Road (Exit 16) on July 6-9 starting as early as 7 p.m. through 5 a.m.
- Narrowing of the off-ramp from I-264 east to Witchduck Road (Exit 16) on July 6-10 starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full closure of I-264 nightly, first of westbound then of eastbound, between Newtown Road (Exit 15) and Witchduck Road (Exit 16) starting as early as July 11. Click here for more information.
- Nightly detours on South Witchduck Road northbound at the I-264 interchange. Click here for more information.
- Ongoing closure with detour of southbound Newtown Road at the I-264 interchange. Closure extended through late August. Click here for more information.
- Single-lane closures on eastbound Laskin Road between Republic Road and Fremac Drive in the City of Virginia Beach, weekly from Monday through Friday from 7 p.m. to 1 p.m. the following day. Click here for more information.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown tunnels):
Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58) and MLK Expressway (Route 164).
This page is available to subscribers. Click here to sign in or get access.