Drivers in Hampton Roads can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of June 21-27.
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Berkley, High Rise and James River bridges.
Scheduled closures are subject to change based on weather conditions and other factors.
For information on traffic, maintenance and construction in Hampton Roads, visit Virginia Department of Transportation’s 511 website, download the 511VA smartphone app or dial 511.
Bridges & Tunnels
Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel, I-64:
- Alternating, single-lane closures westbound on June 22-25 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
HRBT Expansion Project:
- For future lane closures and project updates related to the HRBT Expansion Project, visit HRBTExpansion.org.
Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel, I-664:
- Single-lane closures southbound on June 21-22 from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closures southbound on June 23 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
James River Bridge, Route 17:
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closures from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- In both directions on James River Bridge on June 22-23
- Northbound on James River Bridge on June 23
George P. Coleman Bridge, Route 17:
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closures in both directions on June 24 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
I-64 Widening Project, York County:
- Single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199 Lightfoot exit (Exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (Exit 242) June 21-25, starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Brief, intermittent stoppages on I-64 west between Colonial Parkway and Route 143/Camp Peary (Exit 238) June 22-23, starting after midnight each night.
- A consecutive, long-term lane closure under traffic signal control on Colonial Parkway at the I-64 overpass continues.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143 Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
I-64 Southside Widening, High Rise Bridge Expansion:
- Alternating single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway (Exit 297) and Greenbrier Parkway (Exit 289):
- June 22-25, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- June 26, from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- June 27, from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- June 28, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full closure of the on-ramp to I-64 eastbound from northbound George Washington Highway on June 22 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full closure of off-ramp from I-64 east to George Washington Highway (Exit 296B) on June 22 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full closure of the on-ramp to I-64 westbound from southbound George Washington Highway on June 23 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Daytime flagging operations at Yadkin Road and the I-64 overpass on June 22-23 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Full closure of the off-ramp to Great Bridge Boulevard (Exit 292A) on June 25-26 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Overnight detour on Great Bridge Boulevard at the I-64 overpass, June 25-26, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. Click here for more information.
- Overnight detour on southbound Military Highway under the I-64 overpass, June 1-30, 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. Click here for more information.
- Continuous detour on Shell Road at the I-64 overpass, June 15 to Aug. 24. Click here for more information.
- Click here full list of project traffic alerts.
I-64 Express Lanes:
- Full closure of I-64 Express Lanes in both directions on June 22-23 from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
I-64/I-264 Interchange Improvements Project, Norfolk/Virginia Beach:
- Nightly detours on South Witchduck Road northbound at the I-264 interchange, Click here for the full traffic alert.
- Ongoing closure with detour of southbound Newtown Road at the I-264 interchange. Closure extended through mid-August. Click here for the full traffic alert.
- Alternating, single-lane closure on I-264 westbound from Witchduck Road (Exit 16) to Newtown Road (Exit 15) on June 21-26 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating, double-lane closures on I-264 eastbound from Newtown Road (Exit 15) to Witchduck Road (Exit 16) on June 21-25 starting as early as 7 p.m. through 5 a.m.
Laskin Road Widening and Bridge Replacement Project – City of Virginia Beach
- Single-lane closures on eastbound Laskin Road between Republic Road and Fremac Drive in the City of Virginia Beach beginning the week of June 22, weekly from Monday through Friday from 7 p.m. to 1 p.m. the following day. Click here for the full traffic alert.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown tunnels):
Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58) and MLK Expressway (Route 164).
This page is available to subscribers. Click here to sign in or get access.