This barge is getting a makeover.
The Virginia Port Authority awarded a $506,508 grant to the Newport News Seafood Industrial Park for improvements.
“The grant funds will be used for the South Barge Mooring Modifications project, which is designed to refurbish and improve the current heavy barge mooring on the southern side of the commercial pier,” according to the city’s news release. “This project will create much needed additional capacity at the pier to accommodate a greater variety of larger vessels and nearly doubling the number of vessels allowed at this section of the pier.”
The grant also will go toward new safety equipment at the pier and concrete pilings to replace the wooden mooring structure.
Construction starts later this summer.
YOU MIGHT ALSO WANT TO CHECK OUT THESE STORIES:
- Come Friday, you are required to wear a face covering inside restaurants, stores and other public places. There are exceptions
- You can bring out your inner actor with these virtual classes
- Searching for jobs amid a pandemic: How college graduates are adapting to the new normal
- Jefferson Lab hires new diversity, inclusion lead
- The other frontline workers: These hospital staff are working behind the scenes to protect the public, coworkers