Drivers in Hampton Roads can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of May 24-30.This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Berkley, High Rise and James River bridges. Scheduled closures are subject to change based on weather conditions.For information on traffic, maintenance and construction in Hampton Roads, visit Virginia Department of Transportation’s 511 website, download the 511VA smartphone app or dial 511.
Bridges & Tunnels
Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel, I-64:
- Alternating, single-lane closures westbound on May 26-28 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closures eastbound on May 26-28 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel, I-664:
- Alternating, single-lane closures southbound on May 27-28 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
James River Bridge, Route 17:
- Single-lane closures in both directions on May 27-29 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Berkley Bridge, I-264:
- Single-lane closures from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.:
- Eastbound on May 27
- Westbound on May 28
I-64 Widening Project, York County:
- Single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199 Lightfoot exit (Exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (Exit 242) May 26-28, starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Traffic shift scheduled to begin overnight starting as early as May 26, on I-64 east between Route 199/Newman Road (Exit 234) and Route 143/Capitol Landing Road (Exit 238).
- Lane closures under flagger control on Lakeshead Drive at the I-64 overpass on May 27-28, from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Lane closures under flagger control on Rochambeau Drive west of Route 199/Newman Road (Exit 234) on May 26-28, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- A consecutive, long-term lane closure under traffic signal control on Colonial Parkway at the I-64 overpass continues.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143 Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
I-64, York County:
- Full ramp closure on I-64 east off-ramp to Route 199/Newman Road (Lightfoot, exit 234A) on May 27 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
I-64 Southside Widening, High Rise Bridge Expansion:
- Alternating, single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway (Exit 281) and Greenbrier Parkway (Exit 289):
- May 26-28, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- May 29, from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- May 30, from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m
- May 31, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
I-64 Express Lanes:
- Full closure of I-64 Express Lanes in both directions on May 27-28 from 11 p.m. to 3 a.m.
- Full ramp closures on I-64 on May 26-28, starting as early as 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.:
- Off-ramp to Mercury Boulevard/James River Bridge (Exit 263A)
- On-ramp to I-64 east from Mercury Boulevard
- Off-ramp to eastbound Armistead Avenue/LaSalle Avenue (Exit 265A)
- Off-ramp to westbound Armistead Avenue/LaSalle Avenue (Exit 265B)
I-64, Norfolk/Virginia Beach:
- A slow roll with brief stoppages on I-64 in both directions from Indian River Road (Exit 286) to Virginia Beach Boulevard on May 27-28 from 11 p.m. to 3 a.m.
- Full ramp closure on I-64 east off-ramp to Route 168 Great Bridge/Nags Head (Exit 291B) on May 26-28 from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
I-64/I-264 Interchange Improvements Project, Norfolk/Virginia Beach:
- Alternating, double-lane closures on I-264 east from Newtown Road (Exit 15) to Witchduck Road (Exit 16) on May 26-28 starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closure on I-264 west from Witchduck Road (Exit 16) to Newtown Road (Exit 15) on May 26-29 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Ongoing closure with detour of southbound Newtown Road at the I-264 interchange. More information is available here: https://conta.cc/2xb166Q
- Intermittent stoppages on May 27-28 from 11 p.m to 3 a.m.:
- I-264 east off-ramp to I-64 west (outside set) (Exit 14B)
- I-264 east off-ramp to I-64 west (inside set) (Exit 14C)
- Single-lane closure on I-264 west off-ramp to I-64 west (Exit 14C) on May 27-28 from 11 p.m to 3 a.m. with brief intermittent stoppages.