This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Berkley, High Rise and James River bridges. Scheduled closures are subject to change based on weather conditions.
Scheduled closures are subject to change based on weather conditions.
For information on traffic, maintenance and construction in Hampton Roads, visit Virginia Department of Transportation’s 511 website, download the 511VA smartphone app or dial 511.
Bridges & Tunnels
Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel, I-64:
- Alternating, single-lane closures westbound on May 18-21 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closures eastbound on May 19-21 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel, I-664:
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closures northbound on May 19 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Berkley Bridge, I-264:
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closures in both directions on May 18 from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
I-64 Widening Project, York County:
- Single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199 Lightfoot exit (Exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (Exit 242) May 17-21, starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Traffic shift scheduled to begin overnight starting as early as May 19, on I-64 east between Route 199/Newman Road (Exit 234) and Route 143/Capitol Landing Road (Exit 238).
- A consecutive, long-term lane closure under traffic signal control on Colonial Parkway at the I-64 overpass continues.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143 Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
I-64 Southside Widening, High Rise Bridge Expansion:
- Alternating, single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway (Exit 281) and Greenbrier Parkway (Exit 289):
- May 18-21, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- May 22, from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- May 23, from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m
- May 24, from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- Full closure of the Exit 292 ramp to Route-17/Elizabeth City from I-64 west on May 17 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
I-64 Express Lanes:
- Full closure of I-64 Express Lanes in both directions on:
- May 18 from 9-11:30 a.m.
- May 20 from midnight to 3 a.m.
- May 20-21 from 8 p.m. to 3 a.m.
I-64, Norfolk/Virginia Beach:
- A slow roll with brief stoppages on I-64 in both directions from Indian River Road (Exit 286) to Virginia Beach Blvd on May 20-21 from 11 p.m. to 3 a.m.
I-64/I-264 Interchange Improvements Project, Norfolk/Virginia Beach:
- Alternating, double-lane closures on I-264 east from Newtown Road (Exit 15) to Witchduck Road (Exit 16) on May 17-21 starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closure on I-264 east from Newtown Road (Exit 15) to Witchduck Road (Exit 16) on May 18-19 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Single-lane closure on I-264 east from Newtown Road (Exit 15) to Witchduck Road (Exit 16) on May 17-21 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Ongoing closure with detour of southbound Newtown Road at the I-264 interchange. More information is available here: https://conta.cc/2xb166Q
- Intermittent stoppages on May 20-21 from 11 p.m to 3 a.m.:
- I-264 east off-ramp to I-64 west (outside set) (Exit 14B)
- I-264 east off-ramp to I-64 west (inside set) (Exit 14C)
- Single-lane closure on I-264 west off-ramp to I-64 west (Exit 14C) on May 20-21 from midnight to 4 a.m. with brief intermittent stoppages.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown tunnels):Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58) and MLK Expressway (Route 164).HRBT Expansion Project:For future lane closures and project updates related to the HRBT Expansion Project, visit HRBTExpansion.org.