The Virginia Beach Police Department says it will not release its complete investigative file into last year’s mass shooting when it’s finished. The city said it will instead release a summary of its findings.
City officials will likely complete their final investigative report this fall. Last year’s shooting by a city employee killed 12 people and critically injured four others.
Police Chief Jim Cervera recently said the full investigative report would be confidential. City spokeswoman Julie Hill added Monday that the police department planned to release information later this year but not the entire file.
Some of the victims’ families say the entire file should be released.
Kevin Martingayle, an attorney for the widower of victim Kate Nixon, said there is no reason to keep the file secret because the shooter is dead.
“Anything less than the maximum transparency is unacceptable,” he said.
Jason Nixon, the husband of Kate Nixon, added: “I want to see the report — it’s my wife.”
Investigators say they still do not know why DeWayne Craddock opened fire in a city building. An investigation by security risk management firm Hillard Heintze found that Craddock felt that he had been treated unfairly and deserved a salary increase.
- Virginia Beach adjust plans for mass shooting remembrance due to the coronavirus
- Ryan ‘Keith’ Cox talked about ‘unfair treatment’ at work for years before the mass shooting
- Probe into Virginia Beach mass shooting offers no clear answers
- A scholarship has been created for dependents of Virginia Beach mass shooting victims
- Her sister died in the May 31 mass shooting. She questions the lack of info — city officials are ‘not giving us the time of day’