Drivers in Hampton Roads can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of March 22-28.
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Berkley, High Rise and James River bridges.
For information on traffic, maintenance and construction in Hampton Roads, visit Virginia Department of Transportation’s 511 website, download the 511VA smartphone app or dial 511.
*Scheduled closures are subject to change based on weather conditions.*
Bridges & Tunnels
Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel, I-64
- Single-lane closures eastbound on March 24-26 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating, single-lane closures westbound on March 23 and March 26 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel, I-664:
- Single-lane closures from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.:
- Southbound on March 22-23
- Northbound on March 24-25
I-64 Widening Project, York County
- Single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199 Lightfoot exit (Exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (Exit 242) March 22-26, starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- A consecutive, long-term lane closure under traffic signal control on Colonial Parkway at the I-64 overpass continues.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143 Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
I-64 Southside Widening, High Rise Bridge Expansion
- Alternating, single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway (Exit 281) and Greenbrier Parkway (Exit 289):
- March 23-26
- I-64 westbound from 6:30 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- I-64 eastbound from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- March 27, from 8 p.m. to 8 a.m.
- March 28, from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- March 29, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
I-64/I-264 Interchange Improvements Project, Norfolk/Virginia Beach
- Alternating shoulder closures on the off-ramp from I-64 west to I-264 east (Exit 284) on March 23-27 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closures on I-264 west from Witchduck Road (Exit 16) to Newtown Road (Exit 15) on March 20 at 7 p.m. to March 22 at 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closures on I-264 west from Witchduck Road (Exit 16) to Newtown Road (Exit 15) on March 23-27 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closure on I-264 east at Witchduck Road (Exit 16) on March 23-26 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Double-lane closure on the I-264 east off-ramp to Newtown Road (Exit 15) on March 23-26 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
I-664, Newport News
- Full closure of the on-ramp from 25th Street to I-664 north from March 19 to April 1 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full closure of the on-ramp from Jefferson Avenue to I-664 south from March 19 to April 1 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full closure of the I-664 south off-ramp to 26th Street (Exit 6) from March 19 to April 1 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closures eastbound on Route 164 at the West Norfolk Bridge on March 23-27 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown tunnels): Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58) and MLK Expressway (Route 164).
HRBT Expansion Project: For future lane closures and project updates related to the HRBT Expansion Project, visit HRBTExpansion.org.