Sunday, February 5, 2023

Access to Joint Base Langley-Eustis will be for ‘official business only,’ following coronavirus case

An aerial photograph of Langley Air Force Base and the Hampton Roads area during Airpower Over Hampton Roads Airshow at Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Virginia, May 20, 2018. (WYDaily/U.S. Air Force photo courtesy Senior Airman Anthony Nin Leclerec)
An aerial photograph of Langley Air Force Base and the Hampton Roads area during Airpower Over Hampton Roads Airshow at Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Virginia, May 20, 2018. (WYDaily/U.S. Air Force photo courtesy Senior Airman Anthony Nin Leclerec)

The installation commander on Friday at Joint Base Langley-Eustis has limited base access to “official business only.”

The changes will be implemented at both Langley and Fort Eustis effective at midnight, March 20.

On Thursday, base officials said a medical provider assigned to McDonald Army Health Center at Fort Eustis, who recently returned from travel out of the country, tested positive for the coronavirus (COVID 19).

The person self-isolated and sought out medical attention.

Access is limited to primarily Department of Defense ID cardholders and those conducting official business. Official business includes access to the Commissary, Base Exchange, Hospitals, Child Development Centers and Pharmacy, officials said.

Scheduled refuse pick-ups, and UPS/FedEx/USPS deliveries will continue as normal. This is not an all-inclusive list, but is intended to help minimize the footprint on JBLE while we combat COVID-19. All visitor and guest passes have been suspended until further notice.

Official business includes access to the Commissary, Base Exchange, Hospitals, Child Development Centers and Pharmacy, according to a news release from the base.

This is not an all-inclusive list, but is intended to help minimize the footprint on JBLE while we combat COVID-19. All visitor and guest passes have been suspended until further notice.

“JBLE leadership continues to follow all risk-based measures consistent with guidance from the DoD and the Centers for Disease Control in an effort to prevent the impacts to our service members, families and our community” said Col. Clint Ross, installation commander. “We understand the change will greatly affect access to the installation, but this will be an integral part in JBLE’s stand against the spread of COVID-19 as we work together to flatten the curve.”

JBLE officials are working closely with the Virginia Department of Health to coordinate prevention and response efforts in the local area and will continue providing up-to-date information.

RELATED STORIES: 

John Mangalonzo
John Mangalonzohttp://wydaily.com
John Mangalonzo (john@localdailymedia.com) is the managing editor of Local Voice Media’s Virginia papers – WYDaily (Williamsburg), Southside Daily (Virginia Beach) and HNNDaily (Hampton-Newport News). Before coming to Local Voice, John was the senior content editor of The Bellingham Herald, a McClatchy newspaper in Washington state. Previously, he served as city editor/content strategist for USA Today Network newsrooms in St. George and Cedar City, Utah. John started his professional journalism career shortly after graduating from Lyceum of The Philippines University in 1990. As a rookie reporter for a national newspaper in Manila that year, John was assigned to cover four of the most dangerous cities in Metro Manila. Later that year, John was transferred to cover the Philippine National Police and Armed Forces of the Philippines. He spent the latter part of 1990 to early 1992 embedded with troopers in the southern Philippines as they fought with communist rebels and Muslim extremists. His U.S. journalism career includes reporting and editing stints for newspapers and other media outlets in New York City, California, Texas, Iowa, Utah, Colorado and Washington state.

Related Articles

MORE FROM AUTHOR