Gov. Ralph Northam recently ordered all K-12 schools to close for a minimum of two weeks in order to control the coronavirus (COVID-19) spread.
James City County had the first reported death, a 70-year-old man who died of respiratory failure and has the second highest number of “presumptive positive” cases in the state.
It remains unclear where the man contracted the coronavirus so Peninsula Health District officials fear this outbreak is a community spread.
Northam banned all gatherings of more than 100 people statewide and Peninsula officials urged residents to avoid gatherings of 50 people or more and to avoid going to restaurants, bars and churches.
Since all the schools are shut down for a couple weeks, school divisions on the Peninsula have set up meal programs to provide breakfast and lunch to students and their families.
Here’s a list of school divisions as well as pick-up times for the meals. Some school divisions require students to be present with their families to receive meals while others do not.
Williamsburg-James City County
“Grab and Go” meals will be available to families in need of assistance during the closure. Bags with two days’ worth of breakfast and lunch items will be distributed 8-10 a.m. Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays at the locations below. Williamsburg Area Transit Authority (WATA) will provide free rides to and from these school locations to allow families to receive “Grab and Go” meals. Students must be present for families to pick up a meal.
“Grab and Go” Meal Locations:
- James River Elementary School, Front Entrance – WATA Route 1
- James Blair Middle School, Bus Parking Lot – WATA Route 2 & Route 5
- Toano Middle School, Front Entrance – WATA Route 9
- Warhill High School, Student Parking Lot – WATA Route 4
This schedule is subject to change based on the number of meals distributed at each location.
York County will provide Meals-to-Go bags for students in need of breakfast and lunch during the closure. The Meals-to-Go bags will include enough food for multiple days and will be distributed on Mondays and Thursdays from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the following locations:
- Magruder Elementary School
- York High School
- Tabb High School
The Child Nutrition Services Department will provide meals-to-go for any student in need of lunch or breakfast beginning Tuesday, March 17. The meals-to-go will include a lunch and a breakfast snack for the next day. The meals will be available for pick up from noon to 1:30 p.m. each weekday at the following locations:
- An Achievable Dream Academy, 726 16th St.
- Epes Elementary School, 855 Lucas Creek Road
- Heritage High School, 5800 Marshall Ave.
- McIntosh Elementary School, 185 Richneck Road
- Palmer Elementary School, 100 Palmer Lane
- Warwick High School, 51 Copeland Lane
Families can pick up the meals in a drive thru lane without getting out of the car. Additional sites may be added as needed.
The HCS Food Services Department will offer two (2) packaged meals per day to anyone 18 years of age and younger at the following school locations throughout the city:
- Aberdeen Elementary School – 1424 Aberdeen Road
- Cary Elementary School – 2009 Andrews Blvd.
- Langley Elementary School – 16 Rockwell Road
- Moton Early Childhood Center – 339 Old Buckroe Road
- Hampton High School – 1491 West Queen St.
- Syms Middle School – 170 Fox Hill Road
- Tarrant Middle School – 1435 Todds Lane
Parents or students should go to the school site that is closest to where they reside.
During the duration of the school closure, free meals will be available Monday – Friday between 11:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. for anyone 18 years of age and younger.
In an effort to minimize person-to-person contact, meals will be offered for pick up at the designated school sites. Special meal accommodations will be provided based on a medical note on file for the 2019-2020 school year. If a special meal is required, please call 757-727-2350.
Example menu options are as follows:
- Hamburger, fresh fruit/fruit cup (two items), fresh vegetable, and milk
- Chicken patty sandwich, fresh fruit/fruit cup (two items), fresh vegetable, and milk
- Sunbutter sandwich, cheese stick, graham crackers, fresh fruit/fruit cup, fresh vegetable, and milk
- Turkey stick, cheese stick, graham crackers, fresh fruit/fruit cup, fresh vegetable, and milk
- Breakfast packs – Nutrigrain bar, Poptart, or Crunchmania; juice; fresh fruit/fruit cup; and milk