The coronavirus (COVID-19), the viral respiratory infection has made its way to the Peninsula.
Because of coronavirus concerns, several localities have declared a state of emergency and large gatherings such as festivals, conferences and shows have been canceled.
WYDaily has compiled a list of events canceled, postponed or rescheduled in Williamsburg, James City County, York County, Hampton and Newport News. This list includes St. Patrick’s Day events and will be updated as needed.
- Love is Love Pride Festival, originally scheduled April 4, postponed until further notice.
- Williamsburg Regional Library Kids Studio Grand Opening, originally scheduled March 21, postponed until further notice.
- VFCA 5K, originally scheduled March 14, cancelled.
- Shamrock Slam Pickleball Tournament, originally scheduled March 14-15, cancelled.
- Joint meeting of Williamsburg City Council, James City County Board of Supervisors, Williamsburg-James City County School Board, originally scheduled March 13, cancelled.
- Aura CuriAtlas Performance at Kimball Theatre, originally scheduled March 14-15, canceled.
- Williamsburg Regional Library Tax Aide programs, canceled.
- Home-Based Business Conference, originally scheduled for March 20, canceled.
- Williamsburg Farmers Market, canceled for Saturday
- Williamsburg Police Easter Egg Hunt, postponed to April 11
- Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation Museums, all events and programs canceled through April 11.
- Healthy Aging Conference, originally scheduled April 4, postponed until further notice
- Thrive Women’s Conference, postponed to May 15-16
- Fido Fest, originally scheduled March 21, canceled
- Summer Job Fair, originally scheduled March 14, canceled
- Community Participation Listening Forum, originally scheduled March 23, postponed until further notice
- Child Abuse Prevention Candlelight Ceremony, originally scheduled March 26, canceled
- Cars and Coffee with Cops, originally scheduled March 14, canceled
- Busch Gardens Opening Day, originally scheduled March 15, canceled
- VISION 2020, originally scheduled March 12, canceled
- York High School Annual Car Show scheduled for March 21, postponed until May.
- Kiwanis Club of Williamsburg, ShamROCK the ‘Burg!, originally scheduled for Saturday, canceled. Tickets will be refunded.
- Billsburg Brewery, St. Paddy’s Day Beer Mile, originally scheduled for Sunday, postponed until summer. Refunds will not be issued. Registrations and payments will be transferred to a new date.
Hampton and Newport News
- LINK of Hampton Roads Dinner & Dance, canceled
- Sturgill Simpson, A Good Look’n Tour at the Hampton Coliseum, originally scheduled March 13, canceled
- Spring Fashion Show at Brittingham-Midtown Community Center, scheduled for March 13, canceled.
- Dance Party at Denbigh Community Center, canceled.
- Free Tree for Me, scheduled for March 14, canceled
- Walk in Their Shoes 2020 with the Center of Sexual Assault Survivors, postponed until April 18.
- Old Dominion Honor Flight, postponed the April 25 mission to Washington DC.
- Power Plant of Hampton Roads, canceled all festivals and concerts.
- Heritage High School Class of 2021 Ring Dance, postponed to May 15.
- “Count Me In Hampton” Census kickoff at Peninsula Towne Center on March 14, postponed.
- Marketplace Talks:”Privilege As It Relates To Gender” at the New Life Church scheduled for March 14, postponed.
- “Census And A Movie” at Hampton Main Library branch scheduled for March 16, postponed.
- Women’s United Stone Soup scheduled March 14, postponed.
- Millennium Tour Show at Hampton Coliseum, originally scheduled for March 14, is now rescheduled for July 25.
- More Than a Princess Conference scheduled for March 20-21, postponed.
- Tax Credit Information Session scheduled for March 16, canceled.
- St. Patrick’s Day Celebration in Downtown Hampton, originally scheduled March 14, postponed. Organizers hope to have the celebration later this Spring.
- St. Patricks Day at Capstan Bar Brewing Company originally scheduled for March 17, canceled.
- Hampton Coliseum, all events canceled.
- Hampton Roads Convention Center, all events canceled.
- Virginia Technical Academy’s Grand Opening, postponed to a later date.
- Phoebus Dock Party & Sock Burning, originally scheduled for March 21, canceled.
- Newport News Public Schools’ Budget Public Hearing, rescheduled for March 24 at the regular School Board meeting. Open to the public and essential personnel only. You can leave feedback for the Superintendent’s Proposed Budget for 2020-21 here.
*The 2020 Gloucester Daffodil Festival, schedule for April 4-5 is canceled.*
*The 2020 Gloucester Arts Festival in June is canceled. Will return in 2021.*
- Friday: James City County tops the state in the number of coronavirus cases. Health officials calling it a ‘community outbreak’
- Northam orders all K-12 schools closed for a minimum of 2 weeks
- VDH: James City County now has 7 ‘presumptive positive’ coronavirus cases
- Local hospitals are changing their policies to contain the coronavirus
- Coronavirus ‘presumptive positive’ cases reported in Williamsburg
- WJCC school closes after alleged positive coronavirus case
- Northam declares state of emergency; cancels all scheduled state conferences and large events