Drivers in Hampton Roads can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of March 15-21. Alternating, single-lane closures westbound on March 16-19 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Berkley, High Rise and James River bridges.
For information on traffic, maintenance and construction in Hampton Roads, visit Virginia Department of Transportation’s 511 website, download the 511VA smartphone app or dial 511.
*Scheduled closures are subject to change based on weather conditions.*
Bridges & Tunnels
Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel, I-64
- Alternating, single-lane closures westbound on March 16-19 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
James River Bridge, Route 17
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closures in both directions on March 17 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
I-64 Widening Project, York County
- Starting as early as Sunday, March 15, traffic on I-64 east, between the Camp Peary (Route 143) on-ramp and the Queens Creek bridge, will be shifted right to the outside travel and shoulder lanes.
- Single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199 Lightfoot exit (Exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (Exit 242) March 15-19, starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Lane closures under flagger control on East Rochambeau Drive west of Route 199/Newman Road (Lightfoot exit) on March 16, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- A consecutive, long-term lane closure under traffic signal control on Colonial Parkway at the I-64 overpass continues.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143 Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
I-64 Southside Widening, High Rise Bridge Expansion
- Alternating, single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway (Exit 281) and Greenbrier Parkway (Exit 289):
- March 16-20, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- March 21, from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- March 22, from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m
I-64 Express Lanes
- Full closure of I-64 Express Lanes in both directions on March 16, from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
I-64/I-264 Interchange Improvements Project, Norfolk/Virginia Beach
- Alternating shoulder closures on the off-ramp from I-64 west to I-264 east (Exit 284) on March 16-20 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closures on I-264 west from Witchduck Road (Exit 16) to Newtown Road (Exit 15) on:
- March 13 at 7 p.m. to March 16 at 5 a.m.
- March 20 at 7 p.m. to March 23 at 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closures on I-264 west from Witchduck Road (Exit 16) to Newtown Road (Exit 15) on March 16-20 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closure on I-264 east from Newtown Road (Exit 15) to Witchduck Road (Exit 16) on March 15-20 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
I-664, Newport News
- Full closure of the on-ramp from 25th Street to I-664 north on March 18 to April 1 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full closure of the on-ramp from Jefferson Avenue to I-664 south on March 18 to April 1 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full closure of the I-664 south off-ramp to 26th Street (Exit 6) on March 18 to April 1 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closures eastbound on Route 164 at the West Norfolk Bridge on March 16-20 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown tunnels): Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58) and MLK Expressway (Route 164).
HRBT Expansion Project: For future lane closures and project updates related to the HRBT Expansion Project, visit HRBTExpansion.org.