Hundreds of joggers, runners and walkers will flood city streets on Sunday for the Newport News One City Marathon.
The event, which spans from Newport News Park to the Victory Arch in downtown Newport News, is 26 miles and dozens of roads will be completely or partially closed for traffic to accommodate the participants.
WYDaily compiled a list of road closures from the city, including blocked intersections for the marathon so you can plan ahead or sleep in on Sunday.
The following closures start on Saturday, Feb. 29 from 8 a.m. to Sunday, March 1 at 8 pm.
- 25th Street- Washington Avenue to West Avenue.
- 23rd Street- West Avenue to Cul-de-Sac
- 26th Street- Huntington Avenue to Cul-de-Sac
- 27th Street- Huntington Avenue to Washington Avenue
- 28th Street- Huntington Avenue to Cul-de-Sac
- West Avenue- 23rd Street to 26th Street
One City Marathon race day- March 3
Full Road Closures
The closures below start at 6 a.m. and end anywhere from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. For a full list of full road closures, click here.
- 42nd Street- Huntington Avenue to Washington Avenue ends at 3 p.m.
- Ft. Eustis Boulevard- Jefferson Avenue to Richneck Road ends at 9 a.m.
- Lucas Creek Road- Beechmont Drive to Avis Circle ends at 10 a.m.
- Museum Drive (Private) – Museum Drive (public) to Museum Parkway ends at 1:30 p.m.
- Washington Avenue- 39th Street to 25th Street ends at 3:30 p.m.
Partial road closures
The closures start at 6 a.m. and end anywhere from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. In addition, several intersections will be open for traffic in both directions however all traffic will be on one side of the road. Click here for the full list of partial road closures.
- Beechmont Drive- Westbound from Delaura Drive to Moyer Road ends 10:30 a.m.
- Denbigh Boulevard- Eastbound from Catalina Drive to Moyer Road ends at 11 a.m.
- Main Street- Westbound from Warwick Boulevard to River Road ends at 2:30 p.m.
- Menchville Road- Northbound Lucas Creek Road to Boxley Boulevard ends at noon.
- Warwick Boulevard- Southbound on Harpersville Road to Main Street ends at 2 p.m.
- Washington Avenue- Northbound from 39th Street to 44th Street ends at 3 p.m.
Multiple intersection will be closed or blocked off starting at 6 a.m. and ending at 9 a.m. the earliest and 3 p.m. the latest. Click here for a full list of closed/blocked intersection as well as alternate routes.
- Eastbound Mercury Boulevard (U.S. 17N) and Southbound Warwick Boulevard (U.S. 60 E) ramp ends at 3 p.m. Alternate route is River Road.
- James River Drive (North) and Warwick Boulevard western ends at 2 p.m. Alternate route is Colony Road.
- Stony Drive and Denbigh Boulevard northern ends at 11 a.m. Alternate route is Darden Drive.
- Woodhaven Road and Warwick Boulevard western ends at 10 a.m. Alternate route is Hickory Point Road.
- Shields Road and Industrial Park Drive southern ends at 9 a.m. Alternate route is Richneck Road.
The One City Marathon, Marathon Relay, and Half-Marathon events start at 7 a.m.. The Maritime 8K starts at 10 a.m. and the Nautical Mile Fun Run starts around 10:30 a.m.
For more information about the One City Marathon such as parking information and frequently asked questions, visit the marathon’s website.