Wednesday, February 21, 2024

In photos: Officer Katie Thyne escorted to the airport for final trip to her hometown

Newport News Police on Tuesday escorted fallen Officer Katie Thyne to Norfolk International Airport for her final trip to her hometown in Pelham, New Hampshire.

“Thank you to Norfolk Police Department, Virginia State Police, Hampton Police, Norfolk Airport Police and all the other agencies who assisted us,” Newport News Police posted on Facebook. “Upon her return to Massachusetts, Pelham Police Department (NH) escorted her home.”

Thyne, 24, died last Thursday night after a car dragged her about a block before it crashed into a tree and pinned her. The car had been pulled over in a traffic stop.

Police said the driver, Vernon Green II, took off while Thyne was caught in the driver’s side door. Thyne died at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital from her injuries.

Officer Katie Thyne’s obituary: Katherine M. ‘Katie’ Thyne, 24, dedicated NNPD officer and Navy veteran

Green, of Newport News, is charged with murder:homicide, possession of marijuana and disregard/elude law enforcement. A passenger in Green’s vehicle, Ivy Toinette Runnels, 38, of Hampton, is charged with possession of marijuana.

There will be a celebration of life open to the public for Thyne on Feb. 3 at 6 p.m. at Liberty Baptist Church at 1021 Big Bethel Road in Hampton.

RELATED STORY: ‘She was full of life’: Newport News Police chief remembers fallen officer

John Mangalonzo
John Mangalonzo
John Mangalonzo ( is the managing editor of Local Voice Media’s Virginia papers – WYDaily (Williamsburg), Southside Daily (Virginia Beach) and HNNDaily (Hampton-Newport News). Before coming to Local Voice, John was the senior content editor of The Bellingham Herald, a McClatchy newspaper in Washington state. Previously, he served as city editor/content strategist for USA Today Network newsrooms in St. George and Cedar City, Utah. John started his professional journalism career shortly after graduating from Lyceum of The Philippines University in 1990. As a rookie reporter for a national newspaper in Manila that year, John was assigned to cover four of the most dangerous cities in Metro Manila. Later that year, John was transferred to cover the Philippine National Police and Armed Forces of the Philippines. He spent the latter part of 1990 to early 1992 embedded with troopers in the southern Philippines as they fought with communist rebels and Muslim extremists. His U.S. journalism career includes reporting and editing stints for newspapers and other media outlets in New York City, California, Texas, Iowa, Utah, Colorado and Washington state.

Related Articles