Drivers in Hampton Roads can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of Jan. 26 to Feb. 1.
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Berkley, High Rise and James River bridges.
For information on the many other lane closures necessary for maintenance and construction throughout Hampton Roads, visit 511Virginia.org, download the 511VA smartphone app, or dial 511.
Bridges & Tunnels
- Single-lane closure eastbound on Jan. 26-27 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating, single-lane closures westbound on Jan. 27-30 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m
Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel, I-664
- Single-lane closure southbound on Jan. 29-30 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
High Rise Bridge, I-64
- Single-lane closure eastbound on Jan. 30 from 9 p.m. to 4 a.m.
James River Bridge, Route 17
- A series of bridge test openings on Jan. 27 from 9 p.m to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closure southbound on Jan. 27-28 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Single-lane closure northbound on Jan. 29-31 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199 Lightfoot exit (exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (exit 242) Jan. 26-30, starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- A consecutive, long-term lane closure under traffic signal control on Colonial Parkway at the I-64 overpass continues.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143 Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
I-64 Southside Widening, High Rise Bridge Expansion
- Alternating, single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway (exit 281) and Greenbrier Parkway (exit 289):
- Jan. 27-30, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Jan. 31, from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Feb. 1, from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- Feb. 2, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closure on I-264 west off-ramp to I-64 west (exit 14C) on Jan. 26-30 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full ramp closure on I-264 east off-ramp to I-64 west (exit 14C) on Jan. 27 beginning as early as 11 p.m. to 4 a.m.
I-64/I-264 Interchange Improvements Project, Norfolk/Virginia Beach
- Alternating, double-lane closures on I-64 west from Twin Bridges to I-264 on Jan. 27-30 from 7 p.m. through 5 a.m. and on Jan. 31 from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full closure of the on-ramp from southbound Newtown Road to I-264 east on Jan. 27-31 from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Mobile, single-lane closures on I-264 east from Military Highway (exit 13) to Newtown Road (exit 15) on Jan. 27-31 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closure on I-264 west from Witchduck Road (exit 16) to Newtown Road (exit 15) on Jan. 27-28 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Double-lane closures on I-264 east from Newtown Road (exit 15) to Witchduck Road (exit 16) on Jan. 27 through Feb. 3 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown tunnels): Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58) and MLK Expressway (Route 164).
HRBT Expansion Project: For future lane closures and project updates related to the HRBT Expansion Project, visit HRBTExpansion.org.