Martin Luther King Jr. was a civil rights leader who used civil disobedience to protest the treatment of African-Americans in the United States.
Every year, the government celebrates and remembers his legacy on Martin Luther King Jr. Day, a federal holiday. While it typically falls on a Monday, several organizations are hosting events to commemorate King with acts of service, community marches and church services.
Here is a list of Martin Luther King Jr. events in Williamsburg, James City County, York County, Hampton and Newport News.
Williamsburg/ James City County
- Historic Jamestowne Fee Free Day, visit Historic Jamestowne for free from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. located at 1368 Colonial Parkway.
- Preparation Outreach is hosting an inaugural Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Worship Service and Celebration Breakfast, Jan. 18 from 10 a.m. to noon at the Hope Center located at 1924 Pembroke Ave.
- Made to Flourish is celebrating MLK Jr. Day of Service with a school supply drive and brunch “honoring the work of students and teachers.” HarborPointe Community Church, 351 East Mercury Blvd., is hosting the event on Jan. 20 from 9:30 a.m. to noon.
- The city of Hampton is honoring “people who worked for civil rights and social justice in Hampton” during its Hampton Heroes Dedication inside the Convention Center on Jan. 20 at 1 p.m.
- Hampton University’s annual Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. March and Program are open to the public on Jan. 20. The march begins at the campus’ Emancipation Oak at 10:15 a.m. with the program following at the Rober C. Ogden Hall at 11 a.m.