Drivers in Hampton Roads can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of Jan. 12 to Jan. 18.
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Berkley, High Rise and James River bridges.
For information on the many other lane closures necessary for maintenance and construction throughout Hampton Roads, visit 511Virginia.org, download the 511VA smartphone app, or dial 511.
- Single-lane closure eastbound on Jan. 13 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating, single-lane closures westbound on Jan. 13-17 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
High Rise Bridge, I-64
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closures in both directions on Jan. 12 from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Berkley Bridge, I-264
- Single-lane closure on I-264 west on Jan. 12 from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m.
James River Bridge, Route 17
- A series of bridge test openings lasting up to 20 minutes each on Jan. 13-16, from 9 p.m to 5 a.m.
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closures in both directions on Jan. 15-16 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
George P. Coleman Bridge, Route 17
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closures in both directions on Jan. 14-15 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199 Lightfoot exit (exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (exit 242) Jan. 12-16, starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Lane closures under flagger control on Rochambeau Drive on Jan. 13-17:
- near Bruton High School, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- west of Route 199, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- A consecutive, long-term lane closure under traffic signal control on Colonial Parkway at the I-64 overpass to begin as early as mid-morning on Jan. 13, as well as temporary, intermittent stoppages overnight on Jan. 15.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143 Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
I-64 Express Lanes
- Express lanes will be closed in both directions:
- Jan. 14-15 starting as early as 9 a.m. to noon.
- Jan. 18, from 1-4 p.m.
I-64 Southside Widening, High Rise Bridge Expansion
- Alternating single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway (exit 281) and Greenbrier Parkway (exit 289):
- Jan. 13-16, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Jan. 17, from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Jan. 18, from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- Jan. 19, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m
I-64/I-264 Interchange Improvements Project, Norfolk/Virginia Beach
- Alternating, double-lane closures on I-64 west on Jan. 13-17 starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Mobile, single-lane closures on I-264 east from Military Highway (exit 13) to Newtown Road (exit 15) on Jan. 14 from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closure on I-264 east from Newtown Road (exit 15) to Witchduck Road (exit 16) on Jan. 15-16 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Multi-lane closures on I-264 east between Newtown Road (exit 15) and Lynnhaven Parkway (exit 19) on Jan. 12-13 starting as early as 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full ramp closure on I-264 east off-ramp to I-64 west (exit 14B) (outside set) on Jan. 15-16, from 11 p.m. to 4 a.m. Signed detours will be in place.
- Full closure on US-58 east on-ramp to I-95 north in Emporia on Jan. 14-16 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown tunnels): Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58) and MLK Expressway (Route 164).
HRBT Expansion Project: For future lane closures and project updates related to the HRBT Expansion Project, visit HRBTExpansion.org.