Tuesday, October 3, 2023

Police identify man killed in officer-involved shooting in Newport News

The Newport News Police Department on Monday identified the man killed in an officer-involved shooting Friday as 43-year-old Henry Kistler Berry III.

Further, authorities identified the officer who shot Berry as Sgt. Albin Pearson, a 12-year veteran of the department.

Officials said Pearson has been placed on administrative leave with pay.

Authorities emphasized the investigation into the incident remains open and is being done with the Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office.

No further information was released.

Police said the incident happened at around 8:15 p.m. Friday when officers were sent to “the 100 block of Nantucket Place in reference to an individual making multiple false 911 calls.”

There, officers talked with Berry about making those 911 calls. Police attempted to place the man under arrest but he refused to cooperate “and darted back inside the residence,” according to a news release.

Officers entered the home and again tried to arrest Berry, who police said continued to resist.

There was a struggle and at some point an officer deployed a stun gun.

Authorities said Berry got a hold of the stun gun “and began tasing the officers.”

It was then that Pearson drew his service weapon and fired, striking Berry.

Officers rendered aid to Berry, but they weren’t able to revive him. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

John Mangalonzo
John Mangalonzohttp://wydaily.com
John Mangalonzo (john@localdailymedia.com) is the managing editor of Local Voice Media’s Virginia papers – WYDaily (Williamsburg), Southside Daily (Virginia Beach) and HNNDaily (Hampton-Newport News). Before coming to Local Voice, John was the senior content editor of The Bellingham Herald, a McClatchy newspaper in Washington state. Previously, he served as city editor/content strategist for USA Today Network newsrooms in St. George and Cedar City, Utah. John started his professional journalism career shortly after graduating from Lyceum of The Philippines University in 1990. As a rookie reporter for a national newspaper in Manila that year, John was assigned to cover four of the most dangerous cities in Metro Manila. Later that year, John was transferred to cover the Philippine National Police and Armed Forces of the Philippines. He spent the latter part of 1990 to early 1992 embedded with troopers in the southern Philippines as they fought with communist rebels and Muslim extremists. His U.S. journalism career includes reporting and editing stints for newspapers and other media outlets in New York City, California, Texas, Iowa, Utah, Colorado and Washington state.

Related Articles