Sunday, September 25, 2022

State Police: It was a 69-vehicle chain reaction crash in York County and 51 are injured

The Virginia State Police has updated the number of vehicles involved in a crash Sunday morning near mile maker 239 on Interstate 64 in York County.

Authorities said the 69-vehicle chain reaction crash resulted in 51 people injured – they were taken to area hospitals.

Two of those people are being treated for “life-threatening injuries,” said Sgt. Michelle Anaya, spokeswoman for the Virginia State Police.

Authorities said 11 people suffered serious injuries; the rest were minor.

The State Police in an earlier report said there were 35 vehicles involved – the York-Poquoson Sheriff’s Office reported earlier that more than 45 vehicles were involved in the wreck.

Authorities said the report came in at around 7:51 a.m. in the area of I-64 eastbound near the Queens Creek Overpass near the Camp Peary exit.

Anaya said the cause of the chain reaction crash remains unknown, but noted fog and ice on the Queens Creek bridge were factors in the crash.

A widening project is ongoing at the site of the wreck. It’s unclear whether the incident caused damage to the bridge.

The road was shut down both ways and traffic was detoured to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (exit 242).

At 3:38 p.m., all lanes have reopened on I-64 west at the Queens Creek overpass bridges near Camp Peary (exit 238), according to VDOT.

All eastbound lanes on I-64 at the Queens Creek bridge have also reopened from a second crash Sunday morning in the same location but in the opposite direction.

John Mangalonzo
John Mangalonzo ( is the managing editor of Local Voice Media’s Virginia papers – WYDaily (Williamsburg), Southside Daily (Virginia Beach) and HNNDaily (Hampton-Newport News). Before coming to Local Voice, John was the senior content editor of The Bellingham Herald, a McClatchy newspaper in Washington state. Previously, he served as city editor/content strategist for USA Today Network newsrooms in St. George and Cedar City, Utah. John started his professional journalism career shortly after graduating from Lyceum of The Philippines University in 1990. As a rookie reporter for a national newspaper in Manila that year, John was assigned to cover four of the most dangerous cities in Metro Manila. Later that year, John was transferred to cover the Philippine National Police and Armed Forces of the Philippines. He spent the latter part of 1990 to early 1992 embedded with troopers in the southern Philippines as they fought with communist rebels and Muslim extremists. His U.S. journalism career includes reporting and editing stints for newspapers and other media outlets in New York City, California, Texas, Iowa, Utah, Colorado and Washington state.

Related Articles