Drivers in Hampton Roads can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of Nov. 24-30.
The Virginia Department of Transportation will suspend most highway work zones and lift lane closures on interstates and other major roads in Virginia for Thanksgiving Day travel from noon on Wednesday, Nov. 27 until noon on Monday, Dec. 2.
The scheduled closures are subject to change based on weather conditions. Read the statewide Thanksgiving Day travel news release here.
- Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel, I-64: Alternating, single-lane closure westbound on Nov. 25-26, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Berkley Bridge, I-264: Single-lane closure westbound on November 24, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown tunnels): Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58).
A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143 Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
- I-264 Norfolk/Virginia Beach: Full closure of the I-264 east (outside set) off-ramp (Exit 14B) to I-64 west on Nov. 25-27 from 11 p.m. to 4 a.m.
I-64 Newport News/ York County/ James City County
- Alternating single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199 Lightfoot exit (Exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (Exit 242) Nov.r 24-26, starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Lane closures under flagger control on Lakeshead Drive at the I-64 overpass Nov. 25-26, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Motorist and emergency vehicle access will be maintained at all times.
- I-64 Express Lanes will be closed:
Nov. 23 at 7 a.m. though Nov. 24 at 5 p.m.
Nov. 25, from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
I-64/ I-264 Norfolk/Virginia Beach
- Single-lane closure of I-264 east from I-64 to the Kempsville Road overpass on Nov. 25-27 from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closure of I-64 west from I-264 to Twin Bridges on Nov. 25-27 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closure of I-264 east (outside set) at I-64 on Nov. 25-27, starting as early as 9 p.m. to 5 a.m
- Double-lane closures on I-264 east from Independence Boulevard Exit 17) to Rosemont Road (Exit 18) on Nov. 25-26, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Single-lane closure on the I-264 east collector-distributor lanes (outside set) at Military Highway (Exit 13) on Nov. 25 from 7 p.m. to midnight.
- I-564: Multi-lane closures westbound from the I-64 interchange to the Runway Tunnel:
- Nov. 24, 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Nov. 25-26, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
For information on the many other lane closures necessary for maintenance and construction throughout Hampton Roads, visit 511Virginia.org, download the 511VA smartphone app, or dial 511.