The Virginia Department of Transportation is lifting most lane closures starting Wednesday for Thanksgiving travelers.
The closures go into effect starting Nov. 27 at noon until Dec. 2 at noon.
“VDOT’s online, interactive travel-trends map shows peak congestion periods on Virginia interstates during the three previous Thanksgiving holiday periods,” according to VDOT’s news release. “While it cannot precisely predict when congestion will occur this year, it can help motorists avoid travel when roads have historically been busiest.”
I-64, I-264 and I-564 HOV Diamond Lanes and 64 Express lanes in Hampton Roads will be lifted.
Both Express Lanes and HOV lane restrictions will only be lifted on Thursday, Nov. 28.
- If you plan to drink, have a designated driver
- Buckle up and ensure children and car seats are safely and properly secured
- Maintain a safe distance from the vehicle in front of you
- Use your signals for lane changes and turns
- Keep your eyes on the road
- Take a break if you are drowsy
- Don’t drive distracted, and speak up if someone else is doing so