Drivers in Hampton Roads can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of Oct. 6 to Oct. 12.
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Berkley, High Rise and James River bridges.
For information on the many other lane closures necessary for maintenance and construction throughout Hampton Roads, visit 511Virginia.org, download the 511VA smartphone app, or dial 511.
- Single-lane closures from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.:
- westbound on Oct. 7-10
- eastbound on Oct. 8
Monitor Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel, I-664
- Mobile, alternating single-lane closures southbound on Oct. 8, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
James River Bridge, Route 17
- Single-lane closures in both directions on Route 17 before the James River Bridge in Isle of Wight County on Oct. 7-12, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Coleman Bridge, Route 17
- Mobile, alternating single-lane closures in both directions on Oct. 7-8, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
I-64 Southside Widening – High Rise Bridge, Chesapeake
- Full closure of I-64 west from US-17/George Washington Highway (exit 296) to I-464 (exit 291) from Oct. 5 at 11 p.m. to Oct. 6 at 6 a.m., with a detour in place for westbound traffic. Eastbound traffic (toward Suffolk) will not be detoured. Backup date: 11 p.m. on Sunday, Oct. 6 to 4 a.m. on Monday, Oct. 7.
- Alternating single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway and Greenbrier Parkway:
- Oct. 6-10, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Oct. 11, from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Oct. 12, from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- Overnight single-lane closures on I-64 west, between Route 60/Busch Gardens (exit 243A) and Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (exit 242), Oct. 8-9, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full ramp closures on I-64 with signed detours in place, as follows:
- I-64 west to Route 143 (exit 243B), Oct. 6, 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- I-64 west to Route 60/Busch Gardens (exit 243A), Oct. 7, 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- I-64 west to Yorktown Road/Jefferson Avenue (exit 247), Oct. 8, 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Route 60 on-ramp to I-64 west, Oct. 8, 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- I-64 west to Route 199 east (exit 242B), Oct. 9, 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- I-64 west to Route 199 west (exit 242A), Oct. 10, 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199 Lightfoot exit (exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (exit 242) Oct. 6-11, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. westbound and from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. eastbound.
- Overnight lane closures under flagger control on Lakeshead Drive at the I-64 overpass, Oct. 9-10, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. Motorist and emergency vehicle access will be maintained at all times.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143 Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
I-64 Express Lanes
- Express lanes will be closed:
- Oct. 6-10, from 8 p.m. to 3 a.m.
- Double-lane closure on I-64 west from Indian River Road (exit 286) to the Twin Bridges in Norfolk, Oct. 8-10, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full ramp closure on U.S. Route 58 west on-ramp to I-664 north in Chesapeake on Oct. 7-12, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full ramp closure on I-664 south off-ramp to Powhatan Parkway (exit 2) on Oct. 6, from 7:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Double lane-closures on I-664 south:
- from Aberdeen Road (exit 3) to 35th Street (exit 5), on Oct. 6, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- at Powhatan Parkway (exit 2), on Oct. 6-8, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. (starting at 10 p.m. on Sunday.)
I-64/I-264 Interchange Improvements Project, Norfolk/Virginia Beach
- Double-lane closure of the I-264 east mainline/inside set from Military Highway (exit 13) to Newtown Road (exit 15) beginning Oct. 4 at 10 p.m. through Oct. 7 at 5 a.m. (See the full release here.)
- Single-lane closure of I-64 east from I-264 to Twin Bridges from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. on Oct. 7-12.
- Full closure of I-264 east collector-distributor lanes (outside set) from Military Highway (exit 13) to Newtown Road (exit 15) from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. on Oct. 7-11.
- Double-lane closure on I-264 east from Newtown Road (exit 15) to Witchduck Road (exit 16) on Oct. 6-11 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown tunnels): Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58).