In the Historic Triangle, history is often brought to life.
On Sept. 28 and 29, British forces will once again occupy the streets of Yorktown as they did in September 1781 during the American Revolution.
The National Park Service will host its third annual Yorktown Before the Siege event featuring interpreters dressed as British troops invading the Yorktown area.
“The American and French forces are massing to attack the fortifications built to defend the British Army and naval forces,” the National Park Service wrote in a news release. “What happened to town’s civilians and other refugees? How did the soldiers prepare for a siege?”
The National Park Service has arranged a series of events and demonstrations at the end of this month, including military camp demonstrations, military drills, cannon firing, period crafts and more.
The activities and demonstrations will be along Main Street and at the York County Museum on Main, York Hall, Customs House, Colonial National Historical Park Visitor Center and Nelson House.
Here’s the schedule for the weekend, which may be subject to change, according to the news release:
- 9 a.m. Camps Open: Roll Call at Swann Tavern, Fire Arms Inspection
- 10 a.m. Civilian Inspection by Deputy Quartermaster
- 10:45 a.m. Guided Tour at the Visitor Center: Naval cannon firing demonstration, Drill Field Unit Drill
- 11:30 a.m. Musket firing demonstration
- 12:15 p.m. Cannon Firing Demonstration Visitor Center
- 12:45 p.m. Guided Tour at the Visitor Center: Naval cannon firing demonstration at Drill Field
- 1:15 p.m. Cannon Firing Demonstration at the Visitor Center
- 1:30 p.m. Unit Drill Musket firing demonstration
- 2:15 p.m. Cannon Firing Demonstration at the Visitor Center
- 2:45 p.m. Guided Tour at the Visitor Center: Naval cannon firing demonstration at Drill Field
- 3:15 p.m. Cannon Firing Demonstration at the Visitor Center
- 3:30 p.m. Unit Drill Musket firing demonstration
- 4:30 p.m. Camp Closed to the Public
Other activities will be ongoing throughout the day, including:
- Officers Mess – Nelson House Yard
- Engineer – Nelson House
- Sailors – Summerwell House Yard
- Medical – Swann Tavern
- Camp Life – Swann Tavern Yard
- Refugees and Civilians – Nelson House Field
- Historic Crafts – throughout area