Drivers in Hampton Roads can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of Sept. 22 to Sept. 28.
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Berkley, High Rise and James River bridges.
For information on the many other lane closures necessary for maintenance and construction throughout Hampton Roads, visit 511Virginia.org, download the 511VA smartphone app, or dial 511.
- Single-lane closures westbound, Sept. 22, from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m.
- Alternating single-lane closures eastbound and westbound, Sept. 23-26, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel, I-664
- Single-lane closures southbound:
- Sept. 23-24, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Sept. 24, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Alternating single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199 Lightfoot exit (exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (exit 242) Sept. 22-26, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. westbound and from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. eastbound.
- With assistance from Virginia State Police, there will also be a series of temporary stoppages on I-64 east, lasting no longer than 20 minutes each, for bridge work at the Lakeshead Drive overpass, Sept. 29, between midnight and 5 a.m.
- Overnight and daytime lane closures under flagger control on Lakeshead Drive at the I-64 overpass, Sept. 23-27, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., and Sept. 29, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. Motorist and emergency vehicle access will be maintained at all times.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143 Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
I-64 Southside Widening – High Rise Bridge
- Alternating single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway and Greenbrier Parkway:
- Sept. 22-26, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Sept. 27, from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Sept. 28, from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
I-64 Express Lanes
- Express lanes will be closed:
- Sept. 22-26, from 8 p.m. to 3 a.m.
- Sept. 27-28, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Triple-lane closure on I-64 west from Battlefield Boulevard (exit 290) to Indian River Road (exit 286), Sept. 23-25, from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Double-lane closure on I-64 east from Granby Street (exit 276) to Tidewater Drive (exit 277):
- Sept. 22, from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Sept. 23-24, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Triple-lane closure on I-564 west from the I-64 interchange to the Runway Tunnel, Sept. 23-24, from 6 p.m. to 3 a.m.
- Slow rolls with stoppages lasting up to 20 minutes and a full ramp closure on I-264 west to City Hall Avenue (exit 10), Sept. 22, from 7 a.m. to 8:30 a.m.
- Full ramp closure on I-264 east to I-64 west (exit 14B):
- Sept. 22, from 1 a.m. to 5 a.m.
- Sept. 23-26, from midnight to 4 a.m.
I-64/I-264 Interchange Improvements Project, Norfolk/Virginia Beach
- Full closure of the I-264 east mainline/inside lanes from Military Highway (exit 13) to Newtown Road (exit 15), and the I-64 east ramp to I-264 east, Sept. 20-23 and Sept. 27-30, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. Traffic will be detoured to the collector-distributor road (outside set) of I-264 east. The flyover ramp (exit 284A) from I-64 east to I-264 east will also close during this detour, with a diversion to exit 284B. The I-64 reversible HOV lanes will reverse to westbound as early as 10 p.m. during this detour.
- Single-lane closure of I-264 east from Military Highway (exit 13) to Newtown Road (exit 15), Sept. 23-25 and 27 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Double-lane closure on I-264 west from Witchduck Road (exit 16) to Newtown Road (exit 15), Sept. 23-27 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full ramp closure on US-58 west on-ramp to I-664 north, Sept. 19-22, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full ramp closure on VA-164 east on-ramp to I-664 north, Sept. 23-26, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full ramp closure on I-664 north off-ramp to VA-164 west, Sept. 23-26, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown tunnels): Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58).