Drivers in Hampton Roads can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of Sept. 8 to Sept. 14.
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Berkley, High Rise and James River bridges.
For information on the many other lane closures necessary for maintenance and construction throughout Hampton Roads, visit 511Virginia.org, download the 511VA smartphone app, or dial 511.
- Alternating single-lane closures eastbound, Sept. 9-12, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closures westbound, Sept. 9-12, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel, I-664
- Alternating single-lane closures northbound, Sept. 10, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Single-lane closures northbound, Sept. 11-12, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating single-lane closures in both directions, Sept. 9-12, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
High Rise Bridge, I-64
- Single-lane closures westbound, Sept. 8-10, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
George P. Coleman Bridge, Route 17
- Alternating single-lane closures, Sept. 9-10, from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Berkley Bridge, I-264
- A series of bridge test openings lasting up to 20 minutes eastbound and westbound, Sept. 10-13, between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m.
- Alternating single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199 Lightfoot exit (exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (exit 242), Sept. 8-12, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. westbound and from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. eastbound.
- Overnight and daytime lane closures under flagger control on Lakeshead Drive at I-64 overpass, Sept. 8, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m., and Sept. 10-13, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Motorist and emergency vehicle access will be maintained at all times.
I-64 Southside Widening – High Rise Bridge
- Alternating single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway and Greenbrier Parkway:
- Sept. 8-12, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Sept. 13, from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Sept. 14, from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
I-64 Express Lanes
- Express lanes will be closed:
- Sept. 13-14, from 10:00 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Triple-lane closure on I-64 west from Battlefield Boulevard (exit 290) to Indian River Road (exit 286), Sept. 10-12, from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Triple-lane closure on I-64 east from the Twin Bridges to Indian River Road (exit 286), Sept. 10-12, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Triple-lane closure on I-64 east from Indian River Road (exit 286) to Greenbrier Parkway (exit 289), Sept. 10-12, from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full ramp closure on Greenbrier Parkway on-ramp to I-64 east, Sept. 8-12, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full ramp closure I-264 east off-ramp to I-64 west (exit 14C), Sept. 8, midnight to 4 a.m.
I-64/I-264 Interchange Improvements Project, Norfolk/Virginia Beach
- Right lane closure of I-264 east from Military Highway (exit 13) to the Kempsville Road overpass Sept. 9-13, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full closure of I-264 east collector-distributor lanes (outside set) from Military Highway (exit 13) to Newton Road (exit 15A), Sept. 9-13, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. Exit 284B from I-64 will also be closed during this time.
- Full closure of the I-264 east mainline/inside lanes from Military Highway (exit 13) to Newtown Road (exit 15), and the I-64 east ramp to I-264 east, Sept. 13-16, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. Traffic will be detoured to the collector-distributor road (outside set) of I-264 east. The flyover ramp (exit 284A) from I-64 east to I-264 east will also close during this detour, with a diversion to exit 284B. The I-64 reversible HOV lanes will reverse to westbound as early as 10 p.m. during this detour.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown tunnels): Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58).