Drivers on Interstate 64 should expect a series of nightly lane closures — and possibly some delays — through the week.
As a result of VDOT’s I-64 widening project certain ramps and lanes will experience closures from June 23-29.
Bridge crews will be performing a series of overnight test openings on the George P. Coleman Bridge (Route 17), lasting approximately 20 minutes each.
The openings are necessary to test the second portion of the newly replaced programmable logic controller (PLC) computer component installed this week to automate and controls the movement of the bridge for openings.
The openings are scheduled to occur Friday, June 21 through Sunday, June 23, between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. After each traffic stop, crews will reopen the bridge to allow the traffic queue to clear between openings.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143 Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
- I-95: Full ramp closure from I-95 north to US-301(Sussex Drive) on June 20-26.
- The Newtown Road on-ramp to I-264 east will close nightly from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. June 23-27. Detours will direct traffic to the Witchduck Road on-ramp.
- George P. Coleman Bridge, Route 17: A series of test openings expected to last about 20 minutes each will be performed north and south on June 21-23, between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m.
- Alternating single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199 Lightfoot exit (exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (exit 242):
- June 23, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. westbound
- June 24-27, starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- June 28, starting as early as 9 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Daytime lane closure under flagger control on Rochambeau Drive at Bruton High School on June 24-28 between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. Motorist and emergency vehicle access will be maintained at all times.
- 64 Express Lanes closed:
- June 25, from 9 a.m. to noon.
- June 26, from 10 p.m. to 3 a.m
- June 26-28, from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m.