VIRGINIA BEACH — Beginning Monday the Planning and Community Development Department’s general customer service counter, along with the Permits and Inspections/Zoning Counter, will be relocated to Building 19N in the Municipal Center, 2416 Courthouse Drive.
The entrance to that portion of Building 19 faces Princess Anne Road. It will serve as the temporary intake location for all board and commission applications and the drop-off location for supplemental Development Services Center documents not submitted via Accela, the online portal, city officials said.
Staff for each program area within the PCD will be available from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. to answer questions and help customers with PCD-related activities. Walk-in permit issuance will end at 4 p.m. because of the requirement for payments to be processed by the Treasurer’s Office, officials said.
Permits and inspection
The Permits and Inspections Division is currently processingonline permit submittalsand issuing permits as appropriate. It is recommended, when possible, to submit permit applications online at https://citizenaccess.vbgov.com/Default.aspx to avoid delays and crowds at the temporary location.
Permits for the following areas can be issued starting June 17:
- Plumbing, electrical, mechanical, demolition, fire alarm/suppression
- Repair/Alteration/Addition to existing buildings, both residential and commercial, not adding additional plumbing fixtures
- Land Disturbance for approved site plans that have posted all required sureties
- Right-of-way for approved site plans that have posted all required sureties
- Accessory structures
- Swimming pools and decks
- Moving and hauling
- Amusement devices
- Annual elevator inspections
The following permits cannot yet be issued:
- New construction permits (residential and commercial) that involve the installation of new water meters or lines
- Franchise utility right-of-way permits
Staff is currently reviewing a process to issue all permits in an organized and efficient manner and will provide an update as soon as possible, officials said.
Submittals for boards and commissions will only be accepted following a presubmittal meeting with staff, which will be conducted by appointment. Appointments can be scheduled by calling the Customer Service Counter at 757-385-4621.
Applications will not be accepted if they are dropped off without staff’s initial approval for intake. Please note that all fees for walk-in customers must be paid to the Treasurer’s Office in Building 1. An invoice will be provided to pay at Building 1. Proof of payment must be shown to staff to receive a permit or for a board or commission application to be accepted.
Inspections can now be requested online. Please note:
- All inspections that have been requested online are being reviewed by inspection staff and being addressed as quickly as possible.
- The Building Official is currently accepting pictures and videos of work to be reviewed for inspection.
- The Building Official is also accepting third-party inspection requests. Please upload the photos, videos, and reports into Accela under your permit for your inspection. Please do not proceed with work without an approved inspection. Staff is diligently working through all the inspections and intends to be current no later than June 17.
Other planning divisions
All other divisions of the Planning Department are available by phone from their new remote locations. All staff phone numbers have been transferred to their new work locations and contact information is available at www.vbgov.com/planning. Staff will be available by appointment onlydue to space and time constraints.
Boards and Commissions
All items scheduled for the June Board of Zoning Appeals, Planning Commission, Chesapeake Bay Preservation Area Board, Wetlands Board, and Historical Review Board will be heard at the July public hearing dates. All other items that were scheduled for July will be heard at the August public hearings. Please contact your planning staff liaison if you have any further questions.
- Board of Zoning Appeals: Chris Langaster, email@example.com, 757-385-5093
- Planning Commission: Bill Landfair, firstname.lastname@example.org, 757-385-8745
- Chesapeake Bay: PJ Scully, email@example.com, 757-385-5692
- Wetlands: David Compton, firstname.lastname@example.org, 757-385-8426
- Historical Review Board: Jonathan Sanders, email@example.com, 757-385-1829.