Colonial Williamsburg is celebrating Independence day (well, on July 4) with its annual fireworks display and other activities.
“America’s birthday is an opportunity to reflect upon our Nation’s founding,” said Mitchell B. Reiss, president and CEO of Colonial Williamsburg Foundation. “It is also an opportunity to reflect upon our Nation’s enduring story: where we have been, where we are today and what the future holds for us as Americans.”
Chair tickets are available for the fireworks show for $25 each.
This year, Anika Noni Rose, the voice of Princess Tiana from Disney’s The Princess and the Frog and a Revolutionary in Residence, will read the poem, Independence Day: An Invitation and sing the national anthem live at the fireworks event, according to the nonprofit’s news release.
The annual fireworks display will feature classic American music and recordings by The Gentlemen of the College of William & Mary and The Watermans, Colonial Williamsburg’s tavern troupe.
Here is a timeline of the day’s events below and those with an asterisk are included in admission to Colonial Williamsburg.
- Shields Tavern Breakfast Celebration with Thomas Jefferson – 7:45 a.m. in the Pavilion area. Adults are $39.95 each and children are $17.95 each.
- Historic Area sites are open to ticketed guests beginning at 9 a.m.
- Declaration of Independence reading by Thomas Jefferson – 9:30 a.m. at the Capitol west balcony.
- Salute to the States – 10 a.m. at Market Square.
- Washington’s Birthright* – 10:30 a.m., 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. at the Play House Stage.
- Anika Noni Rose* – 2 p.m. at the Hennage Auditorium. An additional $10 ticket is required.
- Noon reading of the Declaration of Independence– noon on the Courthouse steps.
- Created Equal* – 3:30 p.m. at the Charlton Stage.
- Over There! A WWI Music Hall Sing Along* – 4:30 p.m. in the Hennage Auditorium.
- Josiah Chowning’s July 4 Holiday Party – 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Chowing’s Tavern. Adults are $76 each and $38 per child.
- All-American July 4th Buffet – 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Williamsburg Lodge. Adults are $49.95 each and children ages 3 to 10 years old are $19.95 each. .
- 504 Supremes with the Truetone Honeys – 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. at the Social Terrace of the Williamsburg Inn.
- Lights of Freedom: A Fourth of July Procession and Fireworks is at the Palace Green from 9 p.m. to 9:40 p.m.
Food and beverages are available for purchase at the McKenzie Apothecary Orchard on Palace Green and the fireworks soundtrack will be available to stream live on FM 93.5 THE BURG and AM 740 WMBG.