Drivers in Hampton Roads can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of June 9 to June 15.
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Berkley, High Rise and James River bridges.
For information on the many other lane closures necessary for maintenance and construction throughout Hampton Roads, visit 511Virginia.org, download the 511VA smartphone app, or dial 511.
- Alternating single-lane closures south, June 12, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel, I-64
- Single-lane closures eastbound:
- June 9, from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- June 10-12, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closures westbound, June 13, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- A series of test openings expected to last about 20 minutes each will be performed on June 9-14, between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m.
- Alternating single-lane closures north and south, June 12-14, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
James River Bridge, Route 17:
- Alternating single-lane closures north and south, June 10-14, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Alternating single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199 Lightfoot exit (exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (exit 242):
- June 9, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. westbound
- June 10-13, starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- June 14, starting as early as 9 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- With assistance from Virginia State Police, there will also be a series of temporary stoppages on I-64 west, lasting no longer than 20 minutes each, for bridge work at the Lakeshead Drive overpass June 10, between midnight and 5 a.m.
- Day and nighttime lane closures under flagger control on Lakeshead Drive at the I-64 overpass, on June 10-14, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., and June 10, between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m. Motorist and emergency vehicle access will be maintained at all times.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143 Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
- I-64 alternating single-lane closures both directions between South Military Highway and Greenbrier Parkway:
- June 9-13, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- June 14, from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Slow rolls with stoppages lasting up to 20 minutes and a double lane closure on I-64 east from Fort Eustis Boulevard to Denbigh Boulevard, 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. the nights of June 9-13. Slow rolls begin at 10 p.m.
- Full ramp closures on the on-ramps from north and south Jefferson Avenue to I-64 east and west, June 9-15, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full ramp closure on I-64 west off-ramp to George Washington Highway (exit 296A), June 14, from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- A consecutive full ramp closure from the northbound LaSalle Avenue on-ramp to I-64 east in Hampton continues until summer 2019 for bridge repair work. As of April 24, a full westbound closure is in place on Armistead Avenue beneath the I-64 overpass for up to 6 weeks. Find project and detour information here.
- Full closure of I-264 east collector-distributor road (outside lanes) between Military Highway and Newtown Road 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. June 12-13. Detour at I-64/264 interchange to Indian River Road. Mainline I-264 east will remain open.
- Slow rolls with stoppages lasting up to 20 minutes on I-64 west from Greenbrier Parkway to Twin Bridges, midnight to 4 a.m. the nights of June 14-15
- Full ramp closure on I-264 east on-ramp from Newtown Road, June 13-14, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full ramp closure on I-64 west off-ramp to I-264 east, June 10-13, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full ramp closure from I-95 north to US-301(Sussex Drive) on June 12-26.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown tunnels): Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58).