Drivers on Interstate 64 should expect a series of nightly lane closures — and possibly some delays — through the week. As a result of VDOT’s I-64 widening project certain ramps and lanes will experience closures from May 26 to June 1.
VDOT will lift most lane closures for holiday travel from noon Friday, May 24 until noon Tuesday, May 27.
- I-64: Full ramp closures on I-64 exit 258 to J. Clyde Morris, alternating exit 258A and exit 258B, May 28-30, from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m.
A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143 Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
- Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel (I-664): Alternating single-lane closures south, May 28-29, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- George P. Coleman Bridge (Route 17): A series of test openings expected to last about 20 minutes each will be performed on May 31-June 2, between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m.
- Alternating lane closures on I-64 east and west, between west of Route 199 (Exit 242) and east of Exit 247 (Lee Hall), May 28-31, starting as early as 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full ramp closure at the I-64 west on-ramp to Route 143 (exit 243B) with signed detours in place, May 28-30, 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Lane closures under flagger control on Yorktown Road and Penniman Road at the I-64 overpasses May 28-June 1, from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Alternating single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from the Queens Creek bridges to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (Exit 242):
- May 28-29, eastbound from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- May 29-30, westbound 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- 64 Express Lanes closed:
- May 28, from 9 p.m to 3 a.m.
- May 31, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- The lanes may be reversed to westbound direction as early as 10 p.m., May 29-30 due to work at the I-64/264 Interchange.
With assistance from Virginia State Police, there will also be a series of temporary stoppages on I-64 west, lasting no longer than 20 minutes each, for bridge work at the Lakeshead Drive overpass May 29-30 between midnight and 5 a.m.
Day and nighttime lane closures under flagger control on Lakeshead Drive at the I-64 overpass, on May 28-31, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., and May 29-30, between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m. Motorist and emergency vehicle access will be maintained at all times.
Short, intermittent lane closures under flagger control on Colonial Parkway, May 28-31, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Motorist and emergency vehicle access will be maintained at all times.