Drivers in Hampton Roads can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of April 28 to May 4.
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Berkley, High Rise and James River bridges.
For information on the many other lane closures necessary for maintenance and construction throughout Hampton Roads, visit 511Virginia.org, download the 511VA smartphone app, or dial 511.
- Alternating single-lane closures north and south, April 29-May 2, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating single-lane closures south, April 30, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Single-lane closures east and west on the bridge, April 28, from 2 a.m. to 6 a.m.
- Alternating single-lane closures north and south on the bridge, April 29-30, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Overnight double-lane closures on I-64 east and west, between west of exit 242 (Route 199) and east of exit 247 (Lee Hall), April 28-May 3, starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Daytime single-lane closures on I-64 east, between west of exit 247 (Lee Hall) and east of exit 242 (Route 199), April 28-May 3, from 5 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Full ramp closures on I-64 with signed detours in place, April 28-May 2, starting as early as 7 p.m. at the following ramps: (**All ramps will not be closed at the same time to maintain access to the detour routes.)
- I-64 east and west to Route 60/Busch Gardens (exit 243A)
- I-64 east and west to Route 143 (exit 243B)
- Route 60 on-ramp to I-64 east and west
- I-64 east and west to Route 199 west (exit 242A)
- I-64 east and west to Route 199 east (exit 242B)
- Route 199 east and west on-ramps to I-64 east and west
- I-64 east and west to Yorktown Road/Jefferson Avenue (exit 247)
- Jefferson Avenue (Route 143) on-ramps to I-64 east and west
- Yorktown Road (Route 238) on-ramp to I-64 east
- Alternating single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199 Lightfoot (exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (exit 242) April 28-May 3, starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Day and nighttime consecutive lane closures under flagger control on Lakeshead Drive at the I-64 overpass, continue this week for bridge work and Dominion Energy utility relocations. Motorist and emergency vehicle access will be maintained at all times.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143 Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
- I-64 alternating single-lane closures both directions between South Military Highway and Greenbrier Parkway:
- April 28-May 2, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- May 3, from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- I-64 right-lane closure westbound from High Rise Bridge to I-464, April 28 to May 3, 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full ramp closure, Battlefield Boulevard north on-ramp to I-64 west, April 30-May 2, 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- The 64 Express Lanes will be closed
- April 29, from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- May 3, from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m.
- May 4, from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. and 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- A consecutive full ramp closure from the northbound LaSalle Avenue on-ramp to I-64 east in Hampton continues until summer 2019 for bridge repair work. As of April 24, a full westbound closure is in place on Armistead Avenue beneath the I-64 overpass for up to six weeks. Find project and detour information here.
- Full closure of I-264 east collector-distributor road (outside lanes) between Military Highway and Newtown Road. Detour at I-64/264 interchange to Indian River Road. Mainline I-264 east will remain open:
- April 29-May 1, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown tunnels): Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58).