Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Son given life in prison for mother’s 2017 murder

Michael Alan Webb (Courtesy VPRJ)
Michael Alan Webb (Courtesy VPRJ)

A 36-year-old James City County man is set to spend the rest of his life in prison for killing his mother.

Michael Alan Webb — who killed Edna Webb, 64, in her townhouse in Grove in May 2017 —was sentenced to life in prison Tuesday, online court records show.

A judge followed the sentencing recommendation given by a jury after Webb was found guilty of first-degree murder in August.

RELATED STORY: Jury recommends JCC man spend life in prison for killing mother

Webb’s attorney, Brandon Waltrip, was not immediately available for comment Thursday, but previously told WYDaily he planned to appeal the conviction.

Court records show Webb owes $13,112.50.

The case

Webb, who was convicted of armed robbery in 2002 and spent at least a decade in prison, killed his mother, Edna, just two days after he was court-ordered to leave her house, according to court documents.

In April 2017, Webb’s mother filed a criminal complaint saying her son had trespassed on her property.

A crime scene force prepared a stretcher to remove the body of a victim of a possible homicide at Brookside Haven subdivision May 17, 2017. (WYDaily/Sarah Fearing)
A crime scene force prepared a stretcher to remove the body of a victim of a possible homicide at Brookside Haven subdivision May 17, 2017. (WYDaily/Sarah Fearing)

His mother had also filed an unlawful detainer that same month asking a judge to evict her son from her house. The case was heard May 15, 2017, when a judge gave Michael Webb 30 days to move out of the house.

RELATED STORY: Son charged with murder of mother threatened to kill her, records show

James City County Police were called to the Webb house, at 1877 Ferrell Drive in Grove, two days after the eviction hearing on May 17, 2017. Edna Webb had not shown up at work at Eastern State Hospital for her scheduled shift.

Officers arrived to find Edna Webb dead on her kitchen floor. A medical examiner’s report states she died from asphyxia due to manual strangulation and suffocation, but also had blunt force injuries. Her body was wrapped in a blanket, electrical cord and tape, according to court papers.

The trespass case was also set to go to trial May 19, 2017, two days after police found Edna’s body.

Sarah Fearing
Sarah Fearing is the Assistant Editor at WYDaily. Sarah was born in the state of Maine, grew up along the coast, and attended college at the University of Maine at Orono. Sarah left Maine in October 2015 when she was offered a job at a newspaper in West Point, Va. Courts, crime, public safety and civil rights are among Sarah’s favorite topics to cover. She currently covers those topics in Williamsburg, James City County and York County. Sarah has been recognized by other news organizations, state agencies and civic groups for her coverage of a failing fire-rescue system, an aging agriculture industry and lack of oversight in horse rescue groups. In her free time, Sarah enjoys lazing around with her two cats, Salazar and Ruth, drinking copious amounts of coffee and driving places in her white truck.

Related Articles