Some people may be surprised City Council members in both Hampton and Newport News spend only part of their time representing residents. Some council members have second jobs. Here’s how much Hampton and Newport News City Council members make per year as well as their current or former affiliations.
- Mayor Donnie Tuck – former contract technical writer
- Vice Mayor Jimmy Gray – president/CEO of Hampton Roads Committee of 200+ Men, Inc.
- Eleanor W. Brown – attorney, chairwoman of Virginia Outdoors Foundation and former member of Hampton Economic Development Authority
- Steve L. Brown: minister and former chairman of Hampton Redevelopment and Housing Authority
- Linda Curtis- retired commonwealth’s attorney for the City of Hampton
- W.H. “Billy” Hobbs Jr. – service manager at Pearson Toyota and president/ partner at Peninsula Auto Auction
- Chris Snead – retired budget director for the City of Hampton
According to City Council website, the mayor makes $25,000 per year and the council members make $23,000 per year. The City Attorney could not be reached for comment on who oversees council members to avoid conflicts of interest.
Cheran Ivery, city attorney for Hampton, said each council member is given a copy of the State and Local Government Conflicts of Interest Act, which requires each member to file a Statement of Economic Interest Form with the city clerk’s office by Feb. 1 of each year.
“If Council members have questions or concerns about potential conflicts of interest, they direct their inquiry to the City Attorney, the Virginia COIA & Ethics Advisory Council or the Commonwealth’s Attorney,” Ivery wrote in an email.
- Mayor McKinley L. Price, owner/dentist at Dental Care at Oyster Point
- Vice Mayor Tina L.Vick – owner/principal broker at Tina L.Vick Realty & Development LLC
- David H. Jenkins – retired general manager of Palm Harbor Homes
- Saundra Nelson Cherry – chairwoman of James A. Fields House
- Marcellus L. Harris III – academic counselor/head football coach at Denbigh High School
- Sharon P. Scott – president of SPS Professionals Inc.
- Patricia P. Woodbury – vice president Virginia Transit Association
Per the city’s municipal code, the mayor makes $27,000 per year and the council members each make $25,000 per year. In an email, Kim Lee, communications manager for the City of Newport News referred WYDaily to check out the Virginia Conflict of Interest Act (Va. Code Sec. 2.2-3100) and the Virginia Municipal League Conflict of Interests Act guide for local government leaders when asked about preventing conflict of interest in City Council meetings and agendas.