The I-64/I-264 Interchange Improvements Phase I project is nearing a construction milestone as the contractor prepares the new I-64 west exit and off-ramp to receive traffic.
- The detour for the I-64 west ramp to I-264 east (Exit 284B) will direct traffic to take the next exit (Exit 284A) and continue to ride the interchange cloverleaf ramps until they exit to I-264 east from I-64 east.
- The detour for Newtown Road (Exit 15A) will direct traffic to Witchduck Road (Exit 16) and back to Newtown Road via Virginia Beach Boulevard.
Progress report and a look ahead
- Bridge decks of B-605 (collector-distributor road) and B-603 (ramp to B-605)
- Concrete parapet barriers on B-605 (collector-distributor road)
- Section of concrete deck on B-602 (ramp to I-264 east)
- Sections of sound wall on I-64 west
- Box culverts at Newtown Road Exit 15A
- Overhead sign structure on I-64 west
- Sound wall panel installation along I-64 west
- Constructing Exit 15A temporary tie-in to Phase II project
- Pouring bridge parapet walls
- Paving I-64 west
- Maintaining erosion and settlement control measures
- Traffic shift to new ramp and collector-distributor road
- Replaced 24″ sanitary sewer line under Newtown Road south
- Nightly detours for southbound Newtown Road for utility relocation
- Traffic barrier and temporary lighting on I-264 east
- Utility relocation under Newtown Road
- Excavating for stormwater management at Newtown and Witchduck
- Pile-driving and installation of quad box culvert near Top Golf
- Pile-driving behind Top Golf for new bridge over I-264
- Pile-driving for ground improvements, bridge over Newtown Road and box culvert extension
- Storm drainage installation at Newtown Road and along I-264 east behind Marriott hotel
- Drilled shaft foundations and columns in Newton Road median
- Pile-driving near Cleveland Street
- Underground utility work on Greenwich Road
- A weekend detour will be scheduled in early 2019 for motorists traveling from I-64 west to I-264 east and from I-264 east to Newtown Road.
- A barrier wall will be installed on the shoulder of the ramp from the I-264 east collector-distributor road to I-64 east (Exit 14A) in early 2019. This operation has yet to be scheduled but will be done during off-peak travel times. The barrier will remove the shoulder of the ramp for an extended time so crews can install a sound wall along a portion of I-64 east. Additional notice will be provided when the work is scheduled.
- Shoulders along I-64 west and a portion of I-264 east are closed for construction.
- Motorists should expect night-time single-lane closures on the interstates when traveling through the project area.
For more on the project, click here.