VIRGINIA BEACH — There’s a lot going on at the Virginia Beach Convention Center this month — from shopping and cooking demonstrations to pedigreed dogs and a dynamic hair show.
Here’s a list of some of the activities. And remember, parking is free at the convention center. Info: www.virginiabeachconventioncenter.com:
- The Virginia Beach Spring Craft Market (April 13-15) features more than 150 fine artists and craftspeople from across the nation. Each purchase supports the history and tradition of true American craftsmanship. Bring the kids (admission is free for those under 12) and let them watch a crafter turn a simple slab of clay, block of wood, or skein of yarn into a stunning and functional work of art. Returning again this year: Heritage Celebration with demonstrations by local craft designers and guilds, and Vintage Alley, an exclusive showcase area with exhibitors who create functional and decorative works from vintage objects for the home, or who sell up-cycled vintage finds or vintage décor. Full details available here including an offer for discounted adult admission.
- How about another free show for children 12 and under and discounted adult admission? Treat the whole family to a day at the region’s longest-running home improvement and outdoor living show. For 33 years, the Mid-Atlantic Home & Outdoor Living Show (April 14-15) has paved the way in bringing guests the latest in style, technology and décor to refresh and renew home, garden and outdoor living spaces. Don’t miss the special events happening on the show stage including appearances by Dr. Lori who brings her hilarious “Dr. Lori’s Antiques Appraisal Comedy Show.” Bring your treasures for free antique appraisals. Also appearing this year is Paul James, aka “The Gardener Guy,” best known for his HGTV fame. The full 2-day show schedule may be viewed at www.virginiabeachconventioncenter.com. Be sure to take advantage of the adult admission discount coupon offer.
- Dog lovers unite at the 2018 National Specialty Show – American Shetland Sheepdog Association. Now in its 86th year, the ASSA National is a week-long event (open to the public April 24-29) highlighting the Sheltie, a working breed recognized by the American Kennel Association since 1909
- Heads up! The 2018 Atlantic Coast Grand Prix Volleyball Tournament hits the VBCC for two days of youth Virginia AAU volleyball action (April 28-29). AAU (Amateur Athletic Union) is a nationwide, nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting athletics and fitness programs. Spectators are welcome to purchase one-day or weekend passes at the VBCC box office (advanced sales have closed).
- The 2018 Influance Hair Care & Symposiumoffers four days (April 28 – May 1) of education, entertainment and networking to captivate hair stylists and barbers with opportunities to learn the latest techniques and trends in the professional hair care industry. Influance Hair Care educators will lead “Look and Learn” and “Hands-On” sessions featuring topics such as color-melting and foiling to cutting. Salon management and networking after-parties, as well as a sensational fashion show and award ceremony during an “Evening of Elegance,” will round out the show. Class offerings, hotel information and registration details may be found at www.virginiabeachconventioncenter.com.