Naval Weapons Station Yorktown is marking its centennial on April 15 with a lecture from Capt. Matthew Kosnar, the commanding officer.
Kosnar will discuss the history of the site over the past 100 years. The station was acquired as the Navy Mine Depot in 1918, with a presidential proclamation from Woodrow Wilson, according to the Navy.
At the time, it was the largest navy station in the world, spanning about 13,000 acres in York, Warwick and James City Counties.
Today, the site is home to the Navy Munitions Command Headquarters, which manages international Navy artillery support. The station is also responsible for providing firepower to the Atlantic Fleet.
Kosner’s lecture will be at 3 p.m. on April 15 at the York Hall in Yorktown. The presentation is free to the public and sponsored by the York County Historical Committee.
For information, call York County Parks, Recreation and Tourism at (757) 890-3500.