The James City County Planning Commission ranked stormwater drainage improvements atop its list of capital improvement programs at its special meeting March 19.
There were 26 requests total, half of which were from Williamsburg-James City County schools and the other half county departments. The projects total $83.9 million, with $7.52 million allocated for fiscal year 2018.
“It’s a process, county staff and staff from the school systems did a lot of the preparatory work,” said County Planing Commissioner and Policy Committee Chairman, Jack Haldeman.
Quality of life, infrastructure, economic development, public safety, impact on operational budget, regulatory compliance and timing were all factors that were weighed when the list was comprised.
Haldeman said the policy committee met four times before making a recommendation of the priorities to the Planning Commission.
The Board of Supervisors will review the ranking recommendations during the budget process in April.
Numerous programs from the school division are requesting funding for the upcoming fiscal year including buses for James Blair Middle School, Lafayette High School school entrance redesign and sewage line replacement, Berkeley Middle School entrance redesign and the Matthew Whaley Elementary School parking lot expansion.
Heath Richardson was also named chairman of the Planning Commission at the meeting. Danny Schmidt was named vice chairman.
The commission also voted to change its meeting times from 7 p.m. to 6 p.m. for its monthly meetings, which take place on the first Wednesday of each month.
Full list of recommended rank order of capital improvement projects:
1. Stormwater neighborhood drainage improvements
2. Buses for James Blair Middle School
3. Transportation match
3. Lafayette High School exterior sewer line replacement
5. James City County Marina
6. Fire Station 6
7. Columbia Drive
8. Water main betterment
9. Jamestown Destination Area – Amblers House
10. Chickahominy Riverfront Park new restrooms and concession building
11. Jamestown Beach Event Park improvements
12. Berkeley Middle School entrance redesign
12. Lafayette High School entrance redesign
12. James River Elementary School entrance redesign
12. Stonehouse Elementary School entrance redesign
12. Toano Middle School entrance redesign
12. Laurel Lane Elementary School entrance redesign
18. New James City County Library Branch
19. Marina Phase 2
20. Matthew Whaley Elementary School parking lot expansion
21. Jamestown High School expansion
22. Warhill High School expansion
23. Lafayette High School expansion
24. Warhill Sports Complex baseball field expansion
25. Veterans Park Phase 2 improvements
26. Berkeley Middle School well removal