National Carbon Monoxide Week ended Sunday, but one Virginia organization wants to keep you safe from the silent killer year-round.
Every year, more than 400 people are killed by carbon monoxide poisoning, according to a press release from Safe Kids Worldwide.
The risk of carbon monoxide poisoning increases during the winter, as cold weather leads to the use of carbon-producing appliances such as fireplaces, heaters and furnaces.
Carbon monoxide is colorless, odorless and tasteless. The only way to detect carbon monoxide is with an alarm.
Safe Kids Worldwide offers the following tips to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning:
-Keep a working carbon monoxide alarm near every bedroom and on every floor of your house. Alarms should also be tested regularly and their batteries replaced as needed.
-While warming your vehicle in the morning, do so outside rather than in the garage. Likewise, use grills and generators outside instead of in the home.
-Make sure the vents of dryers, stoves, and fireplaces are cleared of debris.
-If the carbon monoxide alarm sounds, leave the house immediately and call 911. Stay outside until emergency personnel arrives.