Saturday, July 20, 2024

Navy sailor charged in series of bomb threats made to Virginia Beach base

USS Oak Hill (U.S. Navy photos by Mass Communication Specialist 2nd Class Justin Yarborough/Released)

VIRGINIA BEACH — A U.S. Navy sailor stationed at Joint Expeditionary Base Little Creek-Fort Story is accused of making a series of bomb threats to the base in August.

Petty Officer 3rd Class Allante Martanaze Arrington, of Ohio, was indicted in federal court on Sept. 20 and charged with six counts of malicious conveying false information in connection with bomb threats made on Aug. 2 and Aug. 17, according to documents filed in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia in Norfolk.

Arrington enlisted in the Navy in May 2014 and has been a boatswain’s mate stationed on the USS Oak Hill for more than three years, according to a Navy biography.

The Oak Hill is a Harpers Ferry-class dock landing ship that is currently ported at Joint Expeditionary Base Little Creek-Fort Story.

Officials believe Arrington used a cellphone to make the bomb threats. One of the ships threatened was the Oak Hill, court documents state.

Authorities checked the base after every threat and did not find any bombs.

The first bomb threat came around 6 a.m. on Aug. 2 when Arrington allegedly called the Commander Navy Region Mid-Atlantic Regional Dispatch Center and said that three bombs would go off on the base at 9:30 a.m., according to court documents.

About 40 minutes later, he allegedly called the dispatch center again and reiterated that he would “blow” the base up at 9:30 a.m., court documents state.

Around 11 a.m., Arrington is accused of calling the Joint Expeditionary Base Little Creek-Fort Story quarterdeck and saying there was a bomb on the USS Gunston Hall at Pier 16, according to court documents.

About two hours later, he allegedly called the base’s Rockwell Gym and said that there was a bomb on Pier 16 near the USS Oak Hill. Later that afternoon, he also allegedly called the stateroom of the commanding officer of the USS Whidbey Island and said there was a bomb on the boat, court documents state.

About two weeks later, officials believe that he made another threat to the base by saying “1000 bomb at parking lot of Whidbey Island.”

Arrington was arrested on Sept. 22. On Monday, a federal judge allowed Arrington to get out of custody on bail under the conditions that he not use alcohol excessively and checks in with the U.S. Probation Office. He is also not allowed to leave Virginia.

He is scheduled to appear before a federal judge for arraignment on Wednesday.

Send news tips to

Related Articles