Another week, another round of lane closings for drivers in Hampton Roads.
Buckle up and take note. Here’s what you need to know for the next week, beginning Friday Jan. 27, according to a release from the Virginia Department of Transportation.
- I-64 Widening Project in Newport News/York County
- Segment I: On I-64 at the Fort Eustis Boulevard Bridges, there will be single-lane closings eastbound and westbound on Jan. 30 and Feb. 1, from 8 p.m. until 5 a.m., while overhead signs are installed.
- Intermittent traffic stoppages will begin after 11 p.m. They’ll only affect one direction at a time and will last for about 20 minutes.
- Segment II: Look for single-lane closings and traffic shifts on I-64 east and west between Camp Peary (exit 238) and Lee Hall (exit 247) from Jan. 29 to Feb. 4. They’ll start as early as 7 p.m. and last until as late as 6 a.m. A temporary concrete barrier will be installed along the median, along with pavement marking and sign installation.
- Until the afternoon of Feb. 3, the westbound right lane of Jefferson Avenue will be closed from the I-64 west on-ramp to the I-64 east off-ramp.
- Beginning Jan. 27, the work-zone speed limit will be reduced to 55 m.p.h. Fines for speeding in a work zone run as high as $500.
- For the latest information, check here.
US-17 George P. Coleman Bridge: Scheduled bridge openings are as follows and will last up to 30 minutes.
Northbound/Southbound: Jan. 31, from 11-11:30 a.m.
Northbound/Southbound: Jan. 31, from 2:30-3 p.m.
I-64 Eastbound/Westbound in Newport News: Two stoppages are scheduled for Jan. 31, lasting up to 20 minutes. They’ll affect I-64 eastbound and westbound between Yorktown Road and Jefferson Avenue between 11 p.m. and 5 a.m.
US-17 Eastbound On-Ramp to VA-134 in York County: On US-17 (George Washington Memorial Highway) the on-ramp to Hampton Highway eastbound will close every night from Jan. 29 through Feb. 1 between 7 p.m. and 5 a.m. Drivers should follow detour signs. The eastbound and westbound ramps will not be closed at the same time.
VA-134 Westbound Off-Ramp to US-17 in York County: The Hampton Highway eastbound off-ramp to US-17 (George Washington Memorial Highway) will close every night from Jan. 29 through Feb. 1 between 7 p.m. and 5 a.m. Drivers should follow detour signs. The eastbound and westbound ramps will not be closed at the same time.