Christmas and New Year’s Day fall on Sunday this year and that means three- and even four-day weekends for some public employees.
For others, it might mean a bit of confusion.
Locally, the shutdowns begin as early as noon on Thursday, Dec. 22 in York County’s courts.
Some government facilities and offices in the Historic Triangle will be closed Friday, Dec. 23, Saturday, Dec. 24 and Monday, Dec. 26. Others will be closed on Monday Jan. 2.
By Jan. 3, everyone should be back to work.
Here’s a rundown of what’s open, what’s closed and when in the Historic Triangle during the holiday season.
James City County
- County offices are closed Dec. 23-26 and Jan. 1-2.
- The James City County Recreation Center and Abram Frink Jr. Community Center are closed Dec. 24-25 and Jan. 1.
- Convenience Centers close at noon on Dec. 24. They’re closed Dec. 25 and Jan. 1.
- The Garbage Transfer Station is closed Dec. 24-25 and Jan. 1.
- Libraries are closed Dec. 23-25 and Jan. 1-2.
- County courts are closed Dec. 23-26 and Jan. 1-2.
City of Williamsburg
- City offices in the Municipal Building, 401 Lafayette St., will be closed Dec. 23, Dec. 26 and Jan. 2.
- Waller Mill Park will be closed Dec. 24-25 and on Jan. 1.
- Quarterpath Recreation Center will be closed Dec. 23-26 and Dec. 31-Jan. 2.
- There will be no city leaf collection Dec. 23, Dec. 26 or Jan. 2.
- Both branches of the Williamsburg Regional Library will be closed Dec. 23-25 and Jan. 1-2.
- The WJCC courthouse, located on Monticello Avenue, will be closed Dec. 23-26 and Jan. 1-2.
- The schedule for trash and recycling collection will not change.
- County offices will be closed Dec. 23, Dec. 26, Dec. 30 and Jan. 2.
- York-Poquoson Circuit Court, General District Court and Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court close at noon on Thursday, Dec. 22. They will be closed Dec. 23, Dec. 26, Dec. 30 and Jan. 2.
- York-Poquoson Social Services will be closed Dec. 23, Dec. 26, Dec. 30 and Jan. 2.
- The Virginia Cooperative Extension will be closed Dec. 23, Dec. 26 and Dec. 30.
- York County Libraries will be closed Dec. 23-26, Dec. 30 and Jan. 2.
- Waste Management Center Administrative Offices will be closed Dec. 23, Dec. 26, Dec. 30 and Jan. 2.
- VPPSA Compost Facility will be closed Dec. 24 and Dec. 31.
- Curbside trash and recycling pickups will not be affected by the holidays.
- The Transfer Station and Recycling Drop Off Facility will follow their normal schedules.
Williamsburg Area Transit Authority
- The Green Line, which serves the College of William & Mary, will not operate during the college’s holiday break. The line will service at 8 a.m. on Monday, Jan. 16.
- WATA transit services will operate on a Sunday schedule during Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve. The Sunday schedule for each route can be found on WATA’s website. The transit authority will not operate on Christmas Day and New Year’s Day.
- The WATA administrative office will also be closed Dec. 23-26 and Jan. 1-2 in observance of the Christmas and New Year’s holidays.