Saturday, December 9, 2023

After Norge house fire, JCCFD offers fire safety checks

(Courtesy JCC)
(Courtesy JCC)

Following last week’s house fire in Norge, the James City County Fire Department is offering to check residents’ smoke alarms and install new ones if needed.

On Saturday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., JCCFD will travel door-to-door in the Norvalia neighborhood in Norge, providing free fire safety checks.

The JCC Fire Marshal’s investigation determined Thursday’s fire, which destroyed a home on the 100 block of Wilson Circle, started after one of the residents reportedly began heating a pan of oil on the stove and left the room. Another member of the household saw thick black smoke and alerted everyone in the house. The occupants did not have working smoke alarms.

In addition to smoke alarm installation, firefighters will provide brief fire safety education and assist with home escape planning, a news release from the county stated. Due to a partnership with the Red Cross, JCCFD is able to provide 10-year, battery-operated smoke alarms to its residents free of charge.

Several local volunteer groups will be partnering in Saturday’s event, including the James City-Bruton Volunteer Fire Department and JCC Community Emergency Response Team.

Related Articles